VMware Cloud Community
bigdazza75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP Questions

Hi

I'm new to VDP and was hoping some of you may be able to answer some questions?

1. If you use VDP to backup and replicate VMs from Site A to Site B, do you use this as a replacement for SAN replication, or do you normally have both?

2. If you normally have both, I assume there's quite an overhead in have the SAN copies AND the VDP copies?

3. Any thoughts on whether VDP or SAN replication is more efficient?

4. Can VDP backup a Windows Cluster (i.e. file server)? (assume Windows cluster requires raw disks?)

Would also appreciate any honest pros and cons between VDP and the likes of Zerto/Veeam

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Here are my comments..

1. If you use VDP to backup and replicate VMs from Site A to Site B, do you use this as a replacement for SAN replication, or do you normally have both?

VDP (vSphere Data Protection) & VR (vSphere Replication) together can offer backup and replication of VMs. VDP can potect VMs at site level and allows point-in-time recovey,where as VR can replicate VMs across sites. Both VDP & VR together can do the job for you replacing the SAN replication.

2. If you normally have both, I assume there's quite an overhead in have the SAN copies AND the VDP copies?

I would choose the replication type(Array based/Host based) as per my business need and the level of replication required

3.Any thoughts on whether VDP or SAN replication is more efficient?

SAN replication is comparatively costly. If you have vSphere license (Ess+ & above) which offers VDP & VR.

4. Can VDP backup a Windows Cluster (i.e. file server)? (assume Windows cluster requires raw disks?)

Currently VDP cannot backup cluster disks as SBS (SCSI bus sharing) is engaged for the disks.

-Suresh
bigdazza75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks snekkalapudi

"I would choose the replication type(Array based/Host based) as per my business need and the level of replication required"

Would greatly appreciate some expanded comments on when and why you would choose array/host based over the other?

Thanks

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Check out this link - http://searchvmware.techtarget.com/tip/SRM-replication-choices-vSphere-Replication-vs-storage-replic...

SRM VR (vSphere Replication) - Host Based replication

SRM ABR(Array Based Replication) - Storage array-based replication

-Suresh
0 Kudos
rsicilia
Expert
Expert

Hi, using VDP to replicate VMs in different site is a good idea but I think is better use vSphere Replication for this job.

VDP is designed to backup VMs and store the VMDK disks inside its disk. So, in Site B you need restore before startup the VMs... this isn't a good scenario.

--

Rocco Sicilia

Rocco Sicilia [aka: BrC] - http://www.roccosicilia.it - VTSP 4-5, VCP 4-5, vExpert 2013/2014
0 Kudos