VMware Cloud Community
mackinsBNP
Contributor
Contributor

VDP Logs and Troubleshooting.

Hi All

I have been using VDP for a few weeks now and it has been running without too many issues. In the last day or so I have seeing backups fail on 2 of my appliances. I would like to know the reason for the failure so I putty to the appliacne and started to look through the logs in /usr/local/avamarclient/var-proxy-x but I am finding it extremely difficult, none of the logs are labeled with the friendly VM names but insteand the log file names use the vCenter machine ID or some such identifier. I was wondering if somone could give some assistance with

1. Easiest way to find the log for a particular VM

2. What are the best logs to look at to ascertain the actual reason for the backup failure

If anyone has any other tips and tricks for interpreting the logs please let me know.

Thanks a lot guys,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Backup jobs in vdp are taken care by virtual proxies of the appliance. You can see all backup proxies realted logs in /usr/local/avamarclient directory, if you can ssh to the appliance.

You will have to identify the backup job name and the proxy that the backup executed

cd /usr/local/avamarclient/ and identify the proxy

The log file looks like <Jobname>_vmimageX.log" (X is w for windows VM; X is l for linux VM)

Hope this helps.

Do a trial run and note the Jobname to get more clarity

-Suresh
0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I wrote a simple script to ease searching for errors/issues for a particular job and/or vm on a particular day. Copy the attached script on the appliance and run it as follows:

Usage:

/root/troubleshoot.sh <day> <job> <vm>

If vm is not given, all log files for a particular job are returned.

Example:

/root/troubleshoot.sh "sep 18" "myBackupJobName" "myProblematicVM" 
-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos
mackinsBNP
Contributor
Contributor

When I try to run the script Im getting an access denied error, I copied the script to the /  (root) of the appliance, and then  run the command like above

admin@VDPAppliance: //#: /root/troubleshoot.sh "Oct 27" "My_Weekly_PRD" "Server001"

When I run this command I get the error bash: /root/troubleshoot.sh: Permission Denied

I then tried

admin@VDPAppliance: //#: troubleshoot.sh "Oct 27" "My_Weekly_PRD" "Server001"

When I run this command I get the error bash: troubleshoot.sh: command not found

Im prob doing something very simple wrong, but I have very limited Linux knowledge.

Any ideas..??

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

First of all, you should log in with the "root" user. If you are using some other user, you must use "sudo": "sudo /root/troubleshoot.sh ..." (in this case, the other user must be in the sudoers ... I wouldn't go into details about this). If you want to run bash script from the current folder, you must prefix it with ./ ... ./troubleshoot.sh

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos