VMware Cloud Community
Tentacle2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDP - Limit concurrent backups

Hi,

Has anyone tried to limit concurrent backups?

Default number (8) is just too much for our NAS and i'd like to have 4 or even 2 backups running at the same time.

Jeff Hunter mentions that it's possible:

Setting the record straight on VMware vSphere Data Protection | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

"It is possible to change the number of proxies in use by running the registerproxy.sh script located in /usr/local/avamarclient/etc/. Please understand this is something that has not been tested and it is NOT SUPPORTED."

If someone has actually been able to do this I'd like to hear how it's done.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Tentacle2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

It was easier than expected Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
brunoscota
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The article says that "Number of proxy clients (1 to 😎 [8]: 3 <Enter the number of proxies to limit. Max is 8>"

But the Application says "Number of image proxy clients (0 to 8)" and "Number of file proxy clients (0 to 8)"

What is the difference between these?

Should i set the same value for both of two?

Thank you

0 Kudos
MaxXxS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI guys,

anybody maybe got this working on VDP 6.x ?

Just i had look to registerproxy.sh, but this question for "Proxys" not existing.. if i check VDP6  docu it's noted that 24 jobs are supported.  So if i check the queryProps.sh it's

N_VAPP_DEFAULT=0

N_FILE_DEFAULT=8

N_IMAGE_DEFAULT=8

So seems theire where some Changes.

Now i'am not quit sure how to fit that.

maybe someone could attach older files.

- registerproxy.sh

-mcconfig.xml

-queryProbs.sh

so that i could check code from it

would be nice Smiley Wink

thx

Max

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There was a change on how proxies worked in Avamar 7.1 which I believe VDP 6 is based off of. Previously 8 clients showed up in Avamar\VDP per proxy.  It changed to 1 client that does 8 concurrent jobs.

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi theire,

thx for Answer.

So it's just overally a Pain if that Value couldn't be controlled. As because if having hundreds of Vm's getting backuped with several Appliances, that could cause massive Impact on SAN.  and as i'am  not using shared storage for Backup, i would have also Pressure on Network.

therefore hoped that this Value could be controlled. "concurrent Jobs per VDP".   if having  4 Appliances with several hundred of vm's, it's pain if having then 4*8 concurrent ones ;(

i will test it out.

thx

Max

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Its not always an option but if your able to get a data domain you can reduce your total VDP appliance count down to 1 (with an additional one off site as a VDP replication target).  Ideally you would improve backup environment instead of limiting performance outside of VMWare documentation.  I have a production environment that has a job with 88 VMs totaling around 9 TB that only take around 1.5 hours to complete.  With or without Data Domain little bandwidth is used during backups due to CBT, synthetic full and source side deduplication.

With VDP 6.0 I'm guessing you should be able to reduce max jobs per proxy the as described in the Avamar 7.1 VMWare integration guide under upgrade.  I haven't tested the setting change in VDP but I'd imagine it would work.  Be careful making changes outside of VMWare documentation.  You could inadvertently cause issues especially if you don't have much experience.

vdp.png

0 Kudos
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌you can set the Limit in the GUI. Look here: Limit concurrent backups in VDP 5.8

0 Kudos