VMware Cloud Community
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP: How to manually stop a Backup Job?

Hi,

Is there a way to manually stop a running VDP Backup Job? There is no such an option in the VDP web interface. If I do "Cancel" on running Tasks, the task itself is cancelled, but VDP Backup Job is still running...

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
11 Replies
Fleischen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm running VDP 5.5 and I also have the same or similar issue. After canceling a backup job Backup/restore VM jobs still linger in vCenter at a certain %. All VMs that are affected by this needs consolidation but the disk is locked by VDP. Rebooting VDP does not help.

Any ideas?

Regards

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Once I had a stuck VDP task in vCenter tasks (couldn't cancel/delete it) and it even wouldn't time-out (not even after a day) ... so I had to do a restart of vCenter service ... Smiley Sad

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos
brunoscota
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys, i got the same problem, what do you did to solve that?

thank you

0 Kudos
Fleischen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

A restart of the vCenter service solved it for me.

brunoscota
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you, i will try do that.

0 Kudos
EdDolle
Contributor
Contributor

This is just restarting the service on vcenter? This will not restart the management services on the hosts?

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would just reboot the appliance and take care of the clean-up if any (Snapshot removal on the VM if any left, Removal of hot-added disks to the appliance). You may still see the backup task in the vCenter but it doesn't cause any harm. It is just a task that got hung. You should be able to continue backups with VDP. I would start with few VMs first.

But if you still want to get rid of the task from vCenter, you may need to restart the vCenter Server service.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

got to vdp-configure page and see the status of scheduler service

Thanks

0 Kudos
abenitesvil
Contributor
Contributor

The steps that I follow are too much complicated for a simple cancel job request, but is the only way that I've found:

1. Shutdown the VDP appliance (if is possible, a clean shutdown)
  2. Restart the Vcenter Server Service.
  3. Identify the VM that have backup job inconclused.
  4. Restart the management agent on the host(s) that has a locked file in the VM (because I need to do a Consolidation of the snapshots)
  5. Delete all the snapshots on the VM founded in the step 2.
  6. Consolidate the same VM.
  7. Power on the VDP appliance.

For me, too much work. In this times, I need a Right-Clic/Cancel Job feature when I see a Backup/Restore VM job get stuck.

If someone had a better way to cancel a job, like a CLI command, please post it.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
SHISHONM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I don't know if it will work (didn't try it yet)

But when you log into VSPHERE web client and go into VDP configuration you can see on the right side of the screen "running jobs"

I heed to press the "All Users Tasks" under the "Running" tab

When you stand on the VDP JOB there is an X sign and you can press it to cancel the job

I will test it as soon as my backup will end.

Hope it helps.

Smiley Wink

shishon

0 Kudos
CraigD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From the console (shell/command line):

To show the active jobs:

mccli activity show

To cancel a job:

mccli activity cancel --id=<job ID>