VMware Cloud Community
sdmikev
Contributor
Contributor

VDP - Failed to remove snapshot - snapshot is not there

I'm getting the failed to remove for one VM in the reports section.  Happened last night on the scheduled BU, and this morning when I did an "on demand" BU.

This particular job has three servers - the failed one is VCenter.

However -

I watched it in VCenter take and remove the snapshot this morning - it's definitely not there.  Not snapshot file in datastore browser or snapshot manager.

I have an image to restore from last night and this morning.

Shows as a failure in the backup tab.

Shows as out of date in the details.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Though you might no see a snapshot in UI, the corresponding files might still be left with the VM. I would suggest to run a consolidate on the VM and retry the backup.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
sdmikev
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not seeing any snapshot files in the folder via the datastore browser. 

I ran the backup manually in the morning yesterday and it worked fine.  The scheduled one last night gives me the same error again..

Says that it's a "failure", but the images for backup are there.

Weird.

I will run "consolidate" today and see what happens.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
altmiket
Contributor
Contributor

I also am running into this problem, but only on one VM - the win2k8 server running Vcenter.   All other VMs, including other win2k8 machines back up fine.

I get a "VDP: Failed to remove snapshot" error every time, even though no snapshots are listed in Snapshot Manager, nor are they physically on disk with the VM files.

I'm running VDP 6.0.2.4, minor version 7.1.81.107_6.0.2.4

When the backup of this particular VM runs, I see the initial snapshot created, it shows up on disk and in the Snapshot Manager, and it does disappear after the job completes, but this error always occurs.

I tried following the changes suggested to avvcbimg.cmd file and bouncing VDP, as detailed here, but with no luck:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=204482...

One thing that I did notice is that the "Migrate' option to move this VM to another host is greyed out in the Web GUI, but it works fine in the normal windows admin client.

It's the only VM that this option is greyed out on, so something is probably related there.

Still looking for a solution.

0 Kudos