VMware Cloud Community
rameuniver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP Error at vCenter Registration

Hi,

I am unable to register VDP to vCenter, i am getting the following error "Unable to find this VDP in the vCenter inventory." or sometimes i am getting

"The connection test did not complete successfully. Modify your network settings or VDP password and then click "Test connection" to run the connection test again." I googled and followed many articles but still no success.

12 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is your VDP deployed within the vCenter ? VDP works only if deployed within the vCenter inventory

-Suresh
0 Kudos
rameuniver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I have deployed through vCenter (Not through direct esxi)

0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you SSH or putty into the VDP appliance, you can check the log file in /usr/local/avamar/var/vdr/server_logs/vdr-configure.log.  Check that file while you are testing and it should give us an idea of what is occurring to prevent this from connecting.

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I too am getting this error: "Unable to find this VDP in the vCenter inventory." when attempting to register the appliance with the vCenter server. Apparently this is the only post on all of the interwebs that addresses it?

I recently upgraded to 5.5 and am using the latest 5.5 VDP appliance, so not really sure what to do there. Tried deleting and reimporting the appliance, no dice. Will try restarting the vCenter server I suppose?

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
rand0med
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

I had this same issue when installing the new VDP 5.5 as well. I was able to resolve the issue by deploying the OVF template through the Web vSphere Client, instead of using the desktop client. I also noticed that when deploying the OVF through the web interface took longer than it did through using the client, meaning there are some other background tasks being done via the web console. Assuming you installed it along with your vCenter Server, you can reach it by opening up a web browser and enter in https://your.vcenter.server.ip:9443/vsphere-client (eg: http://10.1.1.100:9443/vsphere-client).

Once you log into the web client, browse to the host server that you want to deploy VDP to, and select "Deploy OVF template from the actions dropdown list:2013-10-12 12_39_41-vSphere Web Client.png

After the deployment of the OVF through the web vsphere client, the installation steps worked fine. FYI, if you are getting the error: "The connection test did not complete successfully. Modify your network settings or VDP password and then click "Test connection" to run the connection test again." This means either you did not enter in the credentials of an vCenter administrator correctly, or the appliance could not communicate with the vCenter server. I used the IP address of my vCenter server and my Domain Credentials that I setup in the web client as vSphere administrator.

Kungkeno
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem to, but deploying it from the web client did not resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yep, deploying the VDP 5.5 OVF through the web client worked, thanks for posting up rand0med! Why isn't this in the known issues list for 5.5?

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
Kungkeno
Contributor
Contributor

To any one else having this problem while deploying from web client;

I was able to register the VDP by naming it with it's FQDN from my DNS server in the deployment procedure (before i had not used the domain extension, i.e. i used only "vdp" instad of "vpd.mydomain.local").

0 Kudos
rand0med
Contributor
Contributor

Good point Kungkeno I forgot to mention that. Everything in vSphere 5.5 is very sensitive to errors in DNS configuration. Initially I could not get it to register because I did not have DNS reverse lookups setup in my test environment.

0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This issue is because the VDP appliance requires that the forward and reverse DNS be defined prior to the OVA being deployed.

The following symptoms can be found in different files:

1.     In the /etc/hosts file, the IP address for the VDP appliance will exist, but the hostname will be blank.

2.     When viewing the /opt/vmware/var/log/vami/vami-ovf.log file, you will see the following entries near the end of the file:

[info] [process id: 4062] Hostname property is not present, querying and setting hostname.

[info] [process id: 4062] Output:Host name has been set to localhost.localdom

3.     In the /usr/local/avamar/var/vdr/server_logs/vdr-configure.log file, the following entry can be found:

ERROR [http-nio-8543-exec-9]-config.VDRApplianceCurrentConfig: Unable to get the set host name and domain.

1. java.net.UnknownHostException: localhost.localdom: localhost.localdom: Name or service not known

at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(Unknown Source)

at com.emc.vdp2.config.VDRApplianceCurrentConfig.getNetworkDetails    

:q(VDRApplianceCurrentConfig.java: 153)

at com.emc.vdp2.config.VDRApplianceCurrentConfig.init(VDRApplianceCurrentConfig.java:60)

at com.emc.vdp2.config.VDRApplianceCurrentConfig.<init>(VDRApplianceCurrentConfig.java:47)

at com.emc.vdp2.config.VDRWorkflowFactory.getConfig(VDRWorkflowFactory.java:247)

at com.emc.vdp2.config.VDRWorkflowFactory.getConfiguration(VDRWorkflowFactory.java:53)

at com.emc.vdp2.config.services.ConfigurationService.getConfiguration(ConfigurationService.java:110)

The easiest solution for this issue is to redeploy the OVA after the required DNS entries have been created.

To test whether your DNS is properly configured, you can reference the VDP Admin Guide, page 15.

-Greg Sparks
Kristofejro
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that this error does not appear when you first create forward and reverse DNS and deploy VDP appliance via web client.

I had the same error "Unable to find this VDP in the vCenter inventory" when it was deployed without DNS entries and via vSphere client.

But solution above helped me to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
ASLRMF
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you 

0 Kudos