VMware Cloud Community
bradley4681
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VDP Datastore sizing

If i'll be backing up all virtual machines to a Data Domain, what size does my VDP storage need to be on the host storage system? Do I need to calculate it based on the VMs that will be backed up?

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Most likely .5TB.  This topic is fairly well documented in the admin guide on page 79.  http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration-...

What is not well documented:

- In my experience increase the ram of the .5TB appliance to at least 8GB.  4GB minimum is not enough for most VDP deployments with a data domain.

- I personally have never run into a VDP environment that has needed more then a .5TB appliance when used with a data domain.  This is including some with 150+ VMs and over 30TB of data protected (larger then that and I'm probably going to use a different solution anyways)

- My understanding is if you do a lot of transaction log backups you will run out of space on the .5TB appliance as the meta data stored on the VDP appliance is highly dependent on the number of unique files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Most likely .5TB.  This topic is fairly well documented in the admin guide on page 79.  http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration-...

What is not well documented:

- In my experience increase the ram of the .5TB appliance to at least 8GB.  4GB minimum is not enough for most VDP deployments with a data domain.

- I personally have never run into a VDP environment that has needed more then a .5TB appliance when used with a data domain.  This is including some with 150+ VMs and over 30TB of data protected (larger then that and I'm probably going to use a different solution anyways)

- My understanding is if you do a lot of transaction log backups you will run out of space on the .5TB appliance as the meta data stored on the VDP appliance is highly dependent on the number of unique files.

0 Kudos