VMware Cloud Community
DCDSDfradeneck
Contributor
Contributor

VDP Change IP Address

Can you change the IP address of a VDP appliance?  I have gone in through the web GUI and changed it this way, however, upon boot it is still trying to access its old IP?  I know that in the documentation it states if you pick the wrong address you will have to redeploy, but... that just seems strange to me. 

Anyone?

Tags (1)
8 Replies
criver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Could you take a look at the following "vSphere Data Protection Administration Guide" ?

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration-...

According to page 19,

"Access VDP-configure, open a web browser and type:

https://ip address of VDP appliance:8543/vdp-configure/"

In "Configuration" Tab, you can configure Network setting.

0 Kudos
TimGInIT
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old post, but in case anyone comes across this later (as I did), the vdp-configure web console is a bit confusing. It's not asking what you want the VDP appliance IP to be, but instead, it's asking what IP address you gave it when you deployed the appliance. This doesn't even make sense to me since you're already connected to the appliance at that point, but bottom line, as far as I'm aware, you can't change the VDP IP address from the vdp-configure web console (https://your-VDP-appliance-IP/vdp-configure/).

P.S. Maybe I'll find a better method once I get my hands dirty with it, but if you have a new VDP appliance that you want to change the address for, I'd recommend redeploying the OVF template. During that process, it'll ask you which IP address you want to assign to the appliance.

0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sure you can. It's just hidden behind the little gear.

vdp.png

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
core10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been working on this and the answer is "not easily".

I changed the IP address of a V6.1.0 VDP appliance through the configuration web portal (yes you can access that from the setting icon on the top right) and it does change the IP address of the overall appliance, but leaves some other important settings unchanged, so that certain aspects of the tomcat service fail.

The overall VDP appliance will load, then get stuck with some error messages-- after a very long timeout (more than 40 minutes) it will proceed, but you can no longer manage the server.  The web portal will connect, but won't get data from the "proxy" and you can't manage the services or see anything.  Not sure if this was fixed in the 6.1.1 update.

You can still ping the VDP appliance at the new IP address and use putty to log into it.  I would guess that someone very savvy with SUSE Linux could fix things through a putty login to the VDP appliance, but I've not seen instructions on this.

0 Kudos
core10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi--

I'd like to add to this.

As of the v6.1.4 release of VDP (March 16, 2017) , changing the IP address and the Host name in the configuration portal DOES work.

VDP reboots, you re-register in vCenter and all is fine.  Backups and image based machine or disk recoveries work.

However, the process does not change the host name of the internal proxy (the bottom half of the configuration tab in the configuration portal).

This breaks File Level Restore.

You can only fix it by returning back to the original IP and Host name.

I have a ticket open with VMware to investigate this.

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

You can manully check from VDP by taking it on putty session.

Edit the below file and see if configuration is right.

"cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0                 (if it is single ethernet card on VDP and will show you the IP configuration)

"cat /etc/resolv.conf"                                        (It will show you the DNS IPs)

"cat /etc/sysconfig/network/routes"                              (It will show you the gateway IP)

If required to modify, use vi command to edit the file.

Also check the DNS record on the dns server if it should point your new IP.

Another command "yast" can be used on putty session to verify the IP configuration.

Hope, it will sort out your query.

core10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was helped through this by a superb VMware Storage group tech.

His blog is here http://www.virtuallypeculiar.com/search/label/VDP

After you change the FQDN using the configuration tab in the VDP appliance configuration portal,

https://your-VDP-applance-FQDN:8543/vdp-configure/

backups and full level restores work, but File Level Restore (FLR) is broken.

You must manually change a setting in the

axionfs.cmd file located under /usr/local/avamar/var in the VDP appliance.

you must change the server line in the file to reflect the new FQDN.

--server=new-FQDN

FLR will then work.

The bottom of the configuration tab may still show the FQDN of the old internal proxy, but this does not matter.

File Level Restore will work.

I can only confirm that this works for the current version of VDP

v6.1.4.30

SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

This is updated here now:

VDP 6.x FLR - Failed To Get Disks: The VMDK Filename Is Not Valid Or Present ~ virtuallyPeculiar

# Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos