VMware Cloud Community
peloman
Contributor
Contributor

VDP : Backup stuck at 92% (V6.1.1)

Hi,

I'm using the last version of VDP (6.1.1)

I succesfully backup VM but I have problem with other VM under Windows 2008R2

The backup start and stuck at 92%.

I've see on the other discussion but the bug concern older version.... I have no error messages and I don't know where to search.....

Have you an idea to adress this problem ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
estanev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The job progress % is reported incorrectly, that's an old issue. You can check the job status and completed % via SSH by running this command:

mccli activity show --active

Regards!

0 Kudos
peloman
Contributor
Contributor

I will try,

But for an exemple last night, the backup start at 20h00 and this morning the job stil active.

I think the job hang but I see no information in log. Can you give information where to see if i have a problem or not ?

Regards

0 Kudos
PK3030
Contributor
Contributor

Been having the same problem on VDP v6.1.5. for months and months.   Apparently vDPA backups stopping at 92% seems to be symptomatic of a wide variety of ailments. 

In our case, however, the culprit appears to have been a combination of VSAN and the hot-add transport.  Setting the transport to nbd per https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2148886​​​ solved our problems nicely. 

I'm not missing Hot-Add in the least.  With Hot-Add, when things went bad with a backup the VDP would leave all kinds of orphaned disks all over my datastores - very messy.  Using NBD, the backups run smoothly and thanks to dual redundant 10Gbps switches tying our 3 ESXi 6.5 host together, they are way faster too.  Mind that NBD is not a secure network transport so be sure to VLAN, physically isolate, or try NBDSSL (I have not played with this).

Hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos