VMware Cloud Community
FredericNass
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDP Backup jobs not considering new VM joined to ressources pools

Hi,

I just received the daily email report from VDP appliance. I checked it for errors and saw that some newly created VMs had those unexpected values:

Last backup task: Unkown                  (labels could be different as they are translated from french...)

Last succesful backup : Never

Date of last backup task : Never

Meaning that thoses VMs were not considered by the backup job.

With VDR, when a backup job was attached to a ressource pool, every new VM joining that pool would naturally be backed up on next backup tasks.

With VDP, it seems to not work like this anymore. Looks like we have to update the backup job attached to that pool (Edit, Next 4 times, Finish...) to have the new VMs considered for backup at next backup task.

So how is this ? Can we have VDP automatically update it's backup job to consider new VMs added to a ressource pool ?

Mini.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One more thing i noticed is..if a VM is added to RP through c#(Thick) client instead of NGC, then you may have to manually do a refresh in backup tab and then run a backup which would automatically pick the new VMs added to the resource pool

-Suresh

-Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is working for me.

I have VM1 & VM2 in a RP and select the RP for backup.

Later altered the RP to contain VM2 & VM3 and the same backup job with out editing backed up VM2 & VM3 successfully

-Suresh
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One more thing i noticed is..if a VM is added to RP through c#(Thick) client instead of NGC, then you may have to manually do a refresh in backup tab and then run a backup which would automatically pick the new VMs added to the resource pool

-Suresh

-Suresh
0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I tried altering the resource pool in NGC and VDP backup job picked the changes.

-Suresh
FredericNass
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Snekkalapudi, and thank you for your input.

Can you please confirm that by "c#(Thick) client" you mean vSphere Client and by "NGC" you mean the new vSphere Web Client ?

That would match what I suspected...

Mini.

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Exactly, C# means Thick client

NGC (Next Gen Client) means web client

-Suresh
0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

c# means 'vSphere client'

NGC means 'vSphere web client'

-Suresh
0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm also having issues with VMs not being automatically added to Backup job. Can anybody else confirm these issues?

I've tested this by creating new VM with vSphere Client (Windows Thick Client), vSphere Web Client and via vCloud Director ... newly created VM is never being automatically added to the Backup job.

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

This issue is still present in VDP 5.5. "altering the resource pool in NGC" ... what exactly do you mean by "altering the resource pool"?

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I see this as an quite serious issue. VDP is NOT backing-up any VM's, that has been added to Resource Pool after the Backup Job has been created (where source for Backup Job is a particular Resource Pool). Can anybody confirm, that this actually works. because there seems no ways for me to get this working...?

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Anybody? Hey, guys, did you at least test this, or do you blindly trust VDP?

The "vSphere Data Protection Administration Guide" states:

"If an entire resource pool, host, datacenter, or folder is selected, any new virtual machines added to that container are included in subsequent backups."

However, this is NOT true! I see this as an quite serious issue, since all the VMs, added to the Resource Pool (or Host or Datacenter) after the Backup Job has been created, are not backed-up and therefore those VMs are not protected!

0 Kudos