VMware Cloud Community
ccandia
Contributor
Contributor

VDP Agent SQL Database Backup Failure - Operating system error 112(There is not enough space on the disk.).

Community,

I'm posting this weird error in case it helps someone else. It feels like a silly oversight on my part after finding/fixing it.

I was running into a reoccurring error when trying to do a database level backup on my SQL server.  I was attempting to do a database level backup using the VDP SQL agent on a SQL 2012 server.

The database backup failed with the following information in the VDP plugin log:

"Error: Miscellaneous error."

(Not very useful, so I began pulling logs from the appliance and reviewing them.  Not real helpful there either.

(The job initially failed with permissions errors until I changed the backup agent windows service to run as an account that had appropriate SQL permissions, this seemed like a 'no-brainer'.)

Logs

I checked the logs on the SQL server, it and the Windows Event Log and found this mirrored in both:

SQL Shows (readerrorlog):

Error: 18210, Severity: 16, State: 1.

BackupIoRequest::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device '%server name removed%_%instance name removed%_SUSDB_SQL-Production-Daily-1465216797749-3006-SQL'. Operating system error 112(There is not enough space on the disk.).

Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE SUSDB. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

Error: 18210, Severity: 16, State: 1.

BackupVirtualDeviceFile::RequestDurableMedia: Flush failure on backup device '%server name removed%_%instance name removed%_SUSDB_SQL-Production-Daily-1465216797749-3006-SQL'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

Thoughts:

1. Free space? Maybe it needs to copy DB files?

-The database was 1.7GB.  Both the OS drive (C:) and the data drive (D:) had plenty of free space.  I can't see how there wouldn't be enough room on the VM for a copy of the database if that's what's taking place first.

-The VDP appliance is only at 30% utilization of his storage space.

2. Permissions?

-I was running the backup agent windows service as a service account who is presently a 'sysadmin' to remove permissions issues.  That same account had been doing a powershell SQL backup for a long time, that runs successfully.

Simple Solution

The backup agent service simply wanted to write logs to the 'C:\Program Files\avp\var\' and 'C:\Program Files\avp\var\client logs\' folders and didn't have permissions because the service account wasn't listed on the NTFS permissions.  Once I added the service account and give him write permissions, the jobs worked as expected.

Environment

VDP 6.1

vCenter 6

ESXi 5.5U2

SQL Server VM - Server 2012

SQL 2012

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
myoth
Contributor
Contributor

i have exactly the same issue. In my case, logs are writing to agent folder.

There are from windows event logs. same as you experienced.

Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.)

Operating system error 112(There is not enough space on the disk.).

in "C:\Program Files\avp\var " log i am seeing DNS issue.

avsql Info <6688>: Process 2832 (C:\Program Files\avp\bin\avtar) finished (code 536870920: cannot establish connection with server (possible network or DNS failure))

Any possible clue?

0 Kudos