VMware Cloud Community
TIngallsSynchro
Contributor
Contributor

VDP 6.1 proxy throughput not changing simultaneous client from eight

In my home lab I am attempting to manage proxy throughput by reducing the number of simultaneous backup are restore clients via the vSphere Data Protection Configuration Utility web interface.  The web interface will show that the number has been reduced from 8 to the selected amount, but when I monitor the activity via the mccli utility on the VDP appliance it shows that eight VM backups are running as part of the backup job.  I have not been able to test or replicate this with a clients cluster since we do not currently have any clients running VDP 6.1, and thus I am also unable to open a case on this issue.  Has anyone else seen this type of behavior, or know where in the VDP appliance CLI I might be able to force this setting?

14 Replies
ruisantos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TIngallsSynchroNet,

Yes, I'm experiencing the same problem. Have you already solved this problem ?

It was all running fine until 6.0 to 6.1 migration. Is your 6.1 a clean install, or also a migration ?

I'll probably open a Support Ticket with VMware, unless you already have a solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ALU2602
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem. It is a fresh install of 6.1.1. Does anyone have a solution yet?

Regards, Alex

0 Kudos
ddv005
Contributor
Contributor

Me Three.  I have set Manage Proxy Throughput to 4, but I still have 8 backups running, slamming my SAN and in general wreaking havoc on my system.  The VDP appliance has been rebooted a couple of times since the setting was changed.  Clean install of 611.  Single internal proxy only.  All 8 backups are proceeding....slowly.

On another note, why are the backups taking so freaking long.  Even as it finishes up and only has a couple of backups to finish, it is still running extremely slow.  As I watch progress with the mccli command, the GB are only slowly incrementing during an incremental backup that is only resulting in a 2% or less backup.  It is as though it is actually touching every GB of the VM instead of scanning the CTK file.  Backing up 100MB of incremental backup should be taking seconds, maybe minutes not an hour or more.

0 Kudos
GNTL
Contributor
Contributor

Same here...  anyone managed to get this working.  I had it working for a while with throughput set to 4, and now it's gone back to doing 8 at a time, and hammering my backup NAS.

0 Kudos
estanev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Check this article:

Re-configure proxies for VDP – Limit the number of parallel backups « | OneVirtual |

I'm not sure if this still works on VDP 6.0+

------------------------------

EDIT:

It seems that its not working as well ... just tested it on 6.1.0.173

Regards!

0 Kudos
arjandv1
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here, did anyone created a ticket for this at support?

Would be nice if we got a reaction from VMware.

0 Kudos
dbosilje
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem in my lab. 

Hard to argue for this product to be used in production when a significant feature like this isn't working as advertised.

0 Kudos
ALU2602
Contributor
Contributor

After weeks with the VMware Support and tons of mails they finally admitted that they have a problem. There is a KB article so far, but no solution yet. But they are aware..

Article: VMware KB: Unable to adjust proxy throughput on VMware Data Protection 6.1.x

RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One work around if you have a data domain is to modify the number of data domain streams.  Instructions on how to do so is in the VDP admin guide.

0 Kudos
davebosiljevac
Contributor
Contributor

Going to bring this issue back to the front of the queue.

I see that VMware has released vDP 6.1.3 but don't see any mention of the proxy thread count issue being fixed.

Has anyone deployed this version yet and verified to see if the number of proxies issue has been resolved?

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hi,

With 6.x until 6.1.2 this indeed was an issue.

I had tried concurrent job throttling, however, it never worked.

I will test this with this 6.1.3 VDP, though I don't believe it is fixed as I do not see any updates in our release notes.

Will update this thread on the outcome.

If this bug is not resolved in 6.1.3, please open a ticket with VMware support.

Suhas.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Okay, following up to my previous post.

Created a backup job with 5 VMs.

Set the throughput to 1. 5 iterations of backup were executed - Check Passed

Set the throughput to 2. 3 iterations of backup were executed - Check Passed

Set 2 external proxies and throughput to 1

The throughput would be 2 x 1 = 2

3 Iterations of backups were executed - Check Passed.

Re-registered the appliance. Same test - Check Passed

vMotion the appliance. Same test - Check Passed

Reboot the VDP. Same test - Check Passed

I can say that the issue I had with 6.1.2 is fixed in 6.1.3.

If you still run into issues, as always raise a case with us.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Rubrik

0 Kudos
dbosilje
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for running the test and confirming.

The issue I'm experiencing now is that I can't seem to get the plug-in for 6.1.3 in my vCenter servers - whether it's my old 6.0 vCenter or my newer vCenter 6.5.  I no longer see an option for vDP on the home screen when I log into vCenter.

I've been googling but can't seem to find anyone else who's experiencing the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Possibly the issue #2 from below?

VDP 6.1.3 First Look ~ virtuallyPeculiar

Suhas

Rubrik

0 Kudos