VMware Cloud Community
chrismetro3000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDP 6.1 on vSphere 6.0 web client fails to show status of recent tasks ( VICLIENT shows something completely different...actual information!!!)

Hello,

Running vCenter 6.0 and VDP 6.1 and after launching a backup job ( through the vSphere web client) I can see the job start but only using the viclient's recent tasks ( it DOES NOT show any status or progress through the web client).  Now what makes this problem an issue is that one of the VM's I had in the backup job failed to create a shapshot.  The ONLY REASON I know this is because the viclient recent tasks showing the progress of the backup job alerted me to the issue.  Even after a refresh several times in the webclient there is not indication that the job was ever even run, completed, or FAILED under the Recent Tasks section.  Looking in the Alarms section of the web client also fails to show any indication that there was a failed snapshot on one of the backup jobs.  The only way to view the status was to look at the Tasks Console in the web client and there I could also see the job and failed backup but unless you are already looking for the failure you would never have known.

It is very concerning when VMware is pushing clients to use the web client more and the viclient less yet seems we keep losing functionality.  Has anyone else had this issue with VDP 6.1?  If so is there some fix to allow "RECENT TASKS" to actually show the same status in the web client and in the viclient ( They are both talking to the same vCenter so why dont they contain the same information????)  The exact builds I am using are the following

vCenter Server 6.0.0 build 3018524

VDP 6.1.1.19

ESXi 6.0.0 build 3620759

And before its suggested the run the VDP 6.1.2 ( latest version) I already tried that and that version had bigger issues freezing up and failing so the version I am using seemed to be more stable 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Not sure whether you are using the same user used in VDP configuration page Try logging into web client with the user used to register VDP with vCenter.

-Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Not sure whether you are using the same user used in VDP configuration page Try logging into web client with the user used to register VDP with vCenter.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
chrismetro3000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response and seems to be showing the tasks now. The other account I originally initiated the job with is a domain administrator account which has full admin rights to vcenter so any idea why I would need to login to the web client as the VDP registration account to see those tasks?  This seems very odd considering if 2 different people logged into the viclient at the same time both would see the same "Recent Tasks" regardless who initiated it so I would think the same should apply between the viclient and web client.  At least this does show what I was looking for so thank you

0 Kudos
jtmoree
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

although this answer is 'correct' it is also not helpful.  I'm not going to have every user login with the same account just to see VDP tasks.  Is there no solution to this? 

Furthermore, the tasks show up in the VI C# client when I'm logged in with my regular user.  It makes little sense that I would have to use a different account in the web interface.

I have a vague recollection that the install guide talked about setting users as administrators on the VDP system in order to manage it and I have seen errata for some Vmware products that state if you use the wrong format for the username during registration that the tasks will not show up but I have tried both formats (user@vsphere.local and vsphere.local\user) during registration. 

I'm hoping someday someone will read this and have more insight into what is going on.

0 Kudos
jtmoree
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

also found this posting of the same question from 2013.  linking them

VDP tasks not visible in vSphere Web Client

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So,

You login to web client > Run a backup job, you are unable to see the backup job task correct?

Now:

1. In Web Client > Home > Tasks on left hand side. You should be able to see it here.

Next

2. In the recent tasks pane > Click the Drop down for my tasks and select all users tasks.

You can now see the tasks here as well.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos