VMware Cloud Community
ankorman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDP 6.1 --> 6.1.1; upgrade ISO not detected

Attempting to upgrade VDP 6.1 to 6.1.1.  The 6.1.1 ISO is not detected by the appliance in vdp-configure.  I ran the VDP ISO detection patch, which completes successfully, but the upgrade is still not detected.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Where should I be looking to troubleshoot this?  For what it's worth, this VDP is using Data Domain storage.

EDIT: After mounting the upgrade ISO and waiting a few minutes, the output from df -h at the CLI does not show a cdrom/dvd mounted:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2       32G      5.8G   25G  20% /

udev               3.9G    148K  3.9G   1% /dev

tmpfs              3.9G    0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm

/dev/sda1       128M   37M   85M  31% /boot

/dev/sda7       1.5G    129M  1.3G  10% /var

/dev/sda9       138G   6.5G  124G   5% /space

/dev/sdb1       256G   4.3G  252G   2% /data01

/dev/sdc1       256G   1.7G  255G   1% /data02

/dev/sdd1       256G   2.4G  254G   1% /data03

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ankorman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After spending a bunch of time I don't have on troubleshooting this issue, I finally got it to go by manually mounting the ISO.

A. Follow pre-upgrade procedures as normal (Shut down, disks-->Dependent, snapshot, restart, etc.)

1. Attach the upgrade ISO to the appliance

2. SSH into the appliance and su to root

3. On my appliance, the vCDROM is /dev/sr0.  Yours may be different

4. As root, type mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/auto/cdrom

5. Wait a few minutes.  Now, when you do a df -h, you should see the ISO mounted.

6. Wait a few more minutes, then go into VDP configure and perform the upgrade as usual

7. Keep your SSH session open to the VDP while the upgrade runs.

8. When you see yourself booted out of vdp-configure (usually around the 90% completion mark), quickly remount the ISO again using the command above.

EDIT: On one of my VDP systems the same situation occurred; where after manually mounting the ISO the upgrade stalled at 90-something%.  What I found after looking through the log file was that when it boots you out of vdp-configure to restart the web services, it unmounted the ISO again!  So the upgrade fails because it needs to go back to that ISO to finish, but can't because it is not mounted.

So what I did was keep an SSH session open during the whole upgrade, and when I saw it boot me out from the web interface, I ran a df -h and indeed saw no cdrom mounted anymore.  I quickly then remounted using the mount command above to re-connect the cdrom.  The upgrade then completed successfully.  I've updated the steps in my original post to reflect this new wrinkle.

Very time-consuming!!  :smileyconfused:

View solution in original post

19 Replies
gbone8106
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue. the upgrade worked on my other 3 appliances, but this one does not see the cdrom/dvd mounted either.

0 Kudos
ankorman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After spending a bunch of time I don't have on troubleshooting this issue, I finally got it to go by manually mounting the ISO.

A. Follow pre-upgrade procedures as normal (Shut down, disks-->Dependent, snapshot, restart, etc.)

1. Attach the upgrade ISO to the appliance

2. SSH into the appliance and su to root

3. On my appliance, the vCDROM is /dev/sr0.  Yours may be different

4. As root, type mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/auto/cdrom

5. Wait a few minutes.  Now, when you do a df -h, you should see the ISO mounted.

6. Wait a few more minutes, then go into VDP configure and perform the upgrade as usual

7. Keep your SSH session open to the VDP while the upgrade runs.

8. When you see yourself booted out of vdp-configure (usually around the 90% completion mark), quickly remount the ISO again using the command above.

EDIT: On one of my VDP systems the same situation occurred; where after manually mounting the ISO the upgrade stalled at 90-something%.  What I found after looking through the log file was that when it boots you out of vdp-configure to restart the web services, it unmounted the ISO again!  So the upgrade fails because it needs to go back to that ISO to finish, but can't because it is not mounted.

So what I did was keep an SSH session open during the whole upgrade, and when I saw it boot me out from the web interface, I ran a df -h and indeed saw no cdrom mounted anymore.  I quickly then remounted using the mount command above to re-connect the cdrom.  The upgrade then completed successfully.  I've updated the steps in my original post to reflect this new wrinkle.

Very time-consuming!!  :smileyconfused:

ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mentioned in the release notes (vSphere Data Protection 6.1.1 Release Notes😞

ISO detection fails during upgrade from vSphere Data Protection 6.1 to 6.1.1 (244505)

Workaround

Before you upgrade the vSphere Data Protection appliance, perform the following steps:

1. From the vSphere Data Protection 6.1.1 installation package on the vSphere Data Protection appliance that you want to upgrade, copy theVDP61_Iso_Hotfix.tar.gz file to any directory, for example, /root on the same vSphere Data Protection appliance.
  2. Extract the VDP61_Iso_Hotfix.tar.gz file by running the following command:tar -zxvf VDP61_Iso_Hotfix.tar.gz
  3. Go to the VDP61_Iso_Hotfix directory.
  4. Add the execute permissions to the VDP61_Iso_Hotfix.sh file by running the following command:chmod a+x VDP61_Iso_Hotfix.sh
  5. Run the VDP61_Iso_Hotfix.sh file:./VDP61_Iso_Hotfix.sh

The hotfix checks whether it is running on vSphere Data Protection 6.1. If the hotfix cannot detect vSphere Data Protection 6.1, it exits without applying any changes.

The hotfix backs up the vdr-configure.war file of vSphere Data Protection 6.1 to the /VDP_Files directory. You require the vdr-configure.war file if you want to revert vSphere Data Protection to the state, in which it was before running the hotfix.

0 Kudos
ankorman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I ran that successfully as referred to in OP: "I ran the VDP ISO detection patch, which completes successfully, but the upgrade is still not detected."

0 Kudos
hullt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I installed the hotfix and it still would not detect the ISO, but the upgrade screen changed a little. After applying the hotfix, I had to SSH in and mount the ISO manually and only then did it see the upgrade patch.

0 Kudos
gbone8106
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hmm, weird, did this after the hotfix did not detect the iso properly, started the upgrade, and it stalled at 90%. No it wont see the iso no matter what I try. Any ideas>? I have already reverted the snapshot.

0 Kudos
switchy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My VDP is not even recognizing the upgrade ISO file after applying the ISO detection patch. Any idea what we can try next?

I did Mount the ISO file using the following command:

Mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom1 /mnt

But VDP still does not find the upgrade Image.

0 Kudos
ankorman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@gbone8106: Had the same thing happen...see my revised post above with updated steps.  Basically, you have to remount the ISO again manually

0 Kudos
ankorman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@switchy: On my appliance after attaching the ISO, the vCDROM drive is sr0.  So, the Linux mount command that worked for me was mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/auto/cdrom

I got this by looking at another VDP with an ISO mounted and doing a df -h

0 Kudos
ASRIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can the VDP61 Patch folder and the files inside be safely deleted after the hotfix is applied?

0 Kudos
ImranMughal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This still seems to happen on 6.1.1 to 6.1.2 in place upgrade.

attach the ISO to the VM in the usual way.

SSH to the appliance as admin, su -l (root password)

Then run the following: -

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/auto/cdrom

(now run the upgrade via vdp-configure webpage)

Jump back to the ssh session and run these commands : -

file=/mnt/auto/cdrom/vSphereDataProtection-6.1.2.avp

while [ -f "$file" ]

do

echo "file exists"

sleep 5

done

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/auto/cdrom

if the remount doesnt work, you may get this "mount: mount point /mnt/auto/cdrom does not exist"

just keep retrying this command manually "mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/auto/cdrom".

The upgrade should complete.

0 Kudos
089ToBi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

At my side the Mount is easy and helpful.

Just use Mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/auto/cdrom and everything is working. During Upgrade you have to reuse it.

Don't waste time with the hotfix.

Cu

Tobias

0 Kudos
mandrews1098
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How did you get the ISO detection patch to run on your appliance.  I am having the same problem upgrading my appliance.

0 Kudos
089ToBi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I think the patch only care about the Mount of  the Installation/Upgrade iso file.

So if you use the Mount you do not need to install the patch itself; just upgrade the appliance directly.

Cu

Tobias

0 Kudos
mandrews1098
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to mount the iso, but I am still unable to run the upgrade.  Is there anything I need to do after I mount the iso?

root@os-vdp6xxxxxx://#: df -h

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2        32G  5.8G   25G  20% /

udev            2.9G  148K  2.9G   1% /dev

tmpfs           2.9G     0  2.9G   0% /dev/shm

/dev/sda1       128M   37M   85M  31% /boot

/dev/sda7       1.5G  143M  1.3G  11% /var

/dev/sda9       138G  5.8G  125G   5% /space

/dev/sdb1       1.0T  239G  786G  24% /data01

/dev/sdc1       1.0T  237G  788G  24% /data02

/dev/sdd1       1.0T  236G  788G  24% /data03

/dev/sr0        5.1G  5.1G     0 100% /mnt/auto/cdrom

0 Kudos
mandrews1098
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I logged in to the vdp GUI it still does not recognize the ISO after forcing the mount.

0 Kudos
089ToBi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have Version 6.1 ?

... @  my side it take some minutes  until he recognized the iso file in the gui.

0 Kudos
mandrews1098
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the upgrade ISO for version 6.1.1 and version 6.1.2.  Neither of the ISOs are recognized from the vdp appliance though.

0 Kudos
tashaerodriguez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very true.

0 Kudos