VMware Cloud Community
chrsun02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP 6.1 can´t connect to vdp appliance inside vsphere web client

Hi,

I have depolyed VDP 6.1 and have it up and running. now im trying to connect to the appliance frpm vsphere Web client. After pressing connect the screen goes grey and nothing happens.

No error message no time out, just grayed out with timeglas not moving.

DNS is ok

account for vdp in vcenter ok

all services for appliance are ok

vcenter 5.5 ESXI 5.5

Regards

mgd

85 Replies
Evato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All going well, fixes should be out soon. Have been working with VMware and EMC support and it looks like there may be an update to the .war file in the VDP plugin on the vCenter server.

For those experiencing the problem who haven't created a ticket with VMware, please do so. Ensure that you also advise the version of vCenter server being used.

Will update once have managed to test here.

0 Kudos
jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

same info from my site.

My SR is also escalated to VMware.

Waiting for the fix Smiley Wink

Thanks JO

Johannes Strasser / SDDC Architect @ Porsche Informatik GmbH
Twitter: @jo_strasser
0 Kudos
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having this issue with a new 6.1.2 VDP deployment connected to a 5.5u3c VCSA.

The strange thing is I am having no issue with the same 6.1.2 VDP version in our lab connected to the same version VCSA, 5.5u3c, using a 5.1 VDS.

The one difference I can think of is that the VDP appliance in the lab started as 6.0, or whichever version required a migration upgrade, and has been upgraded to 6.1.1 and then 6.1.2.

The lab was upgraded over a month ago and has had no issues. Backups are running fine.

The new deployment has never worked.

I opened a ticket with VMware support, but they have been of little help. At first they just flat out told me the 6.1.2 VDP was only supported under vCenter Server 6 or higher. When I showed them that this was not true and I had it running under 5.5 they said nothing.

Yesterday I finally heard back from them, but only to say that they escalated the case to EMC.

This, in addition to the many backup failures and orphaned snapshots, is really pushing us away from VDP.

0 Kudos
santhoshbiradar
Contributor
Contributor

In my testbed, I have the same problem of VDP appliance not getting connected in web client!

I have performed all 5 steps mentioned. But still the grey transparent screen is being displayed!!

0 Kudos
mgilch
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

VMware patched my vCenter with a new VDP client plugin and everything works fine now. There will be a KB with this fix very soon he said.

I think everyone who opened a ticket will get it.

Greetings

Martin

0 Kudos
jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for that information! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tomz997
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the "Standard switch" solution..

We had Distributed switch and we were unable to connect to the appliance .... now with Standard Switch, everything works!

But, ideally, we would like to use only Distributed switchs

0 Kudos
mabrown76
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Martin could you share your SR # with me?

Thanks,

Mike

--
Mike Brown, VCDX² (DCV & NV)
Senior Staff Architect
@vcdx71
0 Kudos
mgilch
Contributor
Contributor

The SR# is 16947588504.

Martin

mabrown76
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks!

--
Mike Brown, VCDX² (DCV & NV)
Senior Staff Architect
@vcdx71
0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

So there is a hot fix available now for the appliance 6.1.2

Patched successfully on multiple platforms.

Please open a ticket with VMware, and we will get it fixed for you.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
chadc1979
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a KB article yet on this or do we have to open a ticket to get the fix and does it address the issue of not being able to create backup jobs if the guest VM is also on a distributed switch?

0 Kudos
agolota
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a patch with vdr-ui-war-6.1.2.war file. After swapping old war for new war file everything started working fine. Also on distributed switch.

0 Kudos
chadc1979
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is the KB 2145236, it's available online now along with the patch file.

0 Kudos
wilsonmj
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for this.  Support has been... disappointing.

Only stumbling block I ran into was ownership on the war.  "chown vsphere-client:users vdr-ui-war-6.1.2.war" fixed me right up. 

0 Kudos
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can not find KB 2145236 Smiley Sad

Would you pls share it for me? or give me url.....

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
HughCW2207
Contributor
Contributor

After a bit of digging, was able to find the KB article only to be told I'm not authorised to view it, it's been removed or the reference is out of date.  Logged a SR with support as I can't get access to any of our VDPa's using the Web Client. Smiley Sad  (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2145236)

0 Kudos
dsohayda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hope they're updating the kb because when I was following it yesterday the path to the plugin on the VCSA was incorrect:

Navigate to following directory:

cd etc/vmware/vsphere-client/vc-packages/vsphere-client-serenity/com.vmware.vdp2-6.1.0.19/plugins/

on my 5.5u3c VCSA it's actually

/var/lib/vmware/vsphere-client/vc-packages/vsphere-client-serenity/com.vmware.vdp2-6.1.x

the patch worked for me once I figured out where to apply it.

0 Kudos
jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for all replies here Smiley Wink

Greets JO

0 Kudos
Evato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately it looks like the post has been removed and will need to be referred to when opening a support case with VMware.

It sounds like once the patch has gone through all the QA it will be re-released (hopefully with an updated VDP appliance)

0 Kudos