VMware Cloud Community
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP 6.1 Fall back to non-quiesced backup if quiescence fails

Starting in VDP 6.1 there is a nice new feature where if quiescence fails it will fall back to a non-quiesced backup.  But I believe the check box does opposite of what you would think.  Maybe this could be fixed in the next release.

When its unchecked VDP will do a non-quiesced snapshot if quiescence fails.  If its checked it does not fall back to non-quiesced snapshot.

I confirmed looking at the details of the dataset:

When its checked - type=boolean:name=fail_on_quiesce_error:value=true

When its unchecked - type=boolean:name=fail_on_quiesce_error:value=false

11 Replies
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried 6.0 U1a. it address many issues in previous release.

regards

Pankaj Sharma

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hello there,

yes i think also there is something wrong with the checkbox.

As i wanted to get them failed-back to non-quiesced i got some vm's with quiesced Backup Error.  i tested manually Snapshot is fine.

So i checked the Logfile and get strange Message.

"Since the flag 'fail_on_quiesce_error' was specified, the failover to an unquiesced snapshot will not occur and the backup will fail."

So i will disable the Box and will check next weekend if Failing again or working. As currently with checkbox it's definitly not trying to make a fall-back

@Ryan: Which command you used to get the infos about the values?

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

ah found it.   "mccli dataset show --name=/xx

Smiley Wink

thx

Max

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The default snapshot mechanism for quieseced snapshot in previous releases. If for some reason, the VM cannot be quieseced, the proxy will create an unquieseced snapshot and mark the backup as "completed with exception."

Starting with VDP 6.1 now user have ability to modify this behavior by using option "Fall back to non- quieseced backup if quiesece fails." Note: this option is not applicable for application backup.

By Marking the checkbox for the above option for an image level backup, the "fail_on_quiesce_error" flag is set to true.

By not Marking the checkbox for the above option for an image level backup, the "fail_on_quiesce_error" flag is kept to false.

If the user wants to mark the backup as "failed" instead of "completed with exception", the flag "fail_on_quiesce_error = true" can be submitted.

If the user wants to mark the backup as  "completed with exception" the flag "fail_on_quiesce_error = false" can be submitted by keeping option "Fall back to non- quieseced backup if quiesece fails" as unchecked.

In both the secnarios the backup will end up as non- quieseced backup.

0 Kudos
70D07R312
Contributor
Contributor

Very disappointed to discover this bug is still in place on the most recent release.  If you leave the box checked, which is the default, it will NOT fall back to a non-quiesced snapshot and the backup will fail.  In every environment I've set up, this happens quite often, which means I now have to go through all my jobs and uncheck the box to ensure they will always run.  At some point in the future, I suppose VMware will fix this and I'll have to go through all my jobs again and re-check the box.

0 Kudos
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The Problem is fixed in the new Version V6.1.2, as you can see in the Release Notes:

248683 Fall back to non-quiescent snapshot functionality is inverted
0 Kudos
Nighsliv
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that this issue is still present in 6.1.2, I am currently running 6.1.2.19 and I had to uncheck the box to make my backups work propperly when it failed to quiesce the filesystem.

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm with new installs 6.1.2 is fixed.  Do you still have to uncheck the box when creating new backup jobs?

0 Kudos
Nighsliv
Contributor
Contributor

This was a new install of 6.1.2, we attempted the upgrade path but ran into issues so just decided to reinstall it fresh instead.

I had been having issues with certain VM's constantly failing in backups and found out that this box was checked causing the true value in the logs, unchecked it in the job and it now works without issue.

This is what I was getting before unchecking the box.

2016-04-18T20:53:09.773+05:00 avvcbimage Error <0000>: The quiesced snapshot failed for vm [VMSTORE-03] svr-00/svr-00.vmx.  Since the flag 'fail_on_quiesce_error' was specified, the failover to an unquiesced snapshot will not occur and the backup will fail.

I deployed using the ova file for 6.1.2.

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hello,

i deployed a new 6.1.2.

i checked with the mccli command.

Windows VMware Image Flag      type=boolean:name=fail_on_quiesce_error:value=false

So it's still necessary to keep the Box unchecked.

Best regards

Max

Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hi guys,

thinking having News regarding that Issue.

i opend up today an Case because i lost >100 VM's in a Backup Job and having connectivity Issues etc,......  ..

i have different versions activ on vCenter.  minimum is currently 6.1.1.19  and having some 6.1.2.19

So the funny ones is.  Vmware suggested me that i would need to copy the vdr-ui-war-6.1.2.war  into the Plugin folder.

as i know there are more then 1 war file - i downloaded the Plugin Package from the 6.1.2 VDP

https://VDPIP:8543/vdp-plugin-package.zip

and i placed it into the Plugin Folder.

i started webclient again and checked BackupJob.  So it didn't fixed the missing Vm's > but i saw that the "quiesced" checkbox was activ again which i disabled before.

So i was angry at first Point > as i had to disable it before as the Snap didn't worked.

But gues now ha.  I checked the other VDP's  > they had also again the checkbox activ.   now i jumped into VDP commandline and checked with mccli about the Status.

and now having:

When its checked = type=boolean:name=fail_on_quiesce_error:value=false

So now is correctly.   So that is something faulty during placing a new VDP. Seems to be Vmware not included Automized Update for the VDP Plugin once you adding a new VDP.

So means for me > for each new VDP > i will download the Package and exchange the content.

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos