VMware Cloud Community
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP 6.0 Update sequence and vCenter compatibility

vSphere 6.0 update sequence KB 2109760 says to update SSO and vCenter before upgrading VDP.  I have a lot of customers that want to take advantage of the VDPA features that are now included with VDP 6.0 but don't want to upgrade the rest of vSphere for several months.  What is the downside with upgrading or deploying VDP 6.0 on vCenter 5.5?

The VDP 6.0 Admin guide says its compatible with vCenter 5.5 and 5.1 (see page 20).  Although the Interoperability Matrix says VDP 6.0 only supports vCenter 6.0 and 5.5.  Is the admin guide or interoperabiltiy matrix wrong about using VDP 6.0 with vCenter 5.1?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VDP 6.0 requires vCenter Server 5.5 U2 or vCenter Server 6.0.

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff.  But that contradicts what is in the Admin guide, release notes and interoperability matrix.

VDP 6.0 Admin guide page 20 says the minimum requirement was vCenter server 5.1 but 5.5 or later was recommend.  I didn't see any mention to vCenter requirements under documentation issues in the release notes.  After your comment and looking at the interoperability matrix I get the impression it isn't supported.  I'm looking at the Interoperability Matrix now and it says VDP 6.0 is supported with vCenter 5.5, 5.5 U1.  Are you saying this is incorrect?

I just want to make sure I follow supported practices.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration-...

0 Kudos
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am almost 100% certain VDP 6.0 requires the next generation of the vSphere Web Client, which is included with vCenter Server 5.5 U2 and vCenter Server 6.0. I will double-check internally to find out why the documentation is not in sync.

0 Kudos
LeslieBNS9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are running VDP 6.0 with vCenter Server 5.5 U2 without issue.  I know it's been awhile since this post was created but the interoperability matrix reflects this as well. 2015-04-09 09_39_27-VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes.png

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.  Your screen shot of the compatibility matrix says all version of vCenter 5.5 are supported.  The updated VDP 6 release notes says only vCenter 5.5 u2 and 6 are supported.  It looks to me the compatibility matrix is still incorrect.

0 Kudos
vrtxreda
Contributor
Contributor

thank you

0 Kudos