new vdp 5.5 appliance 1TB connected to a vcenter 5.5 appliance
configured a dozen or so backups that are working.
have 3 vm's that get
"An unexpected error occurred with the following error code: 10058"
the three vm's are windows 2008 servers.
running job manually or scheduled get the same error
google does not come up with any matches nor does this community have mention of the error code.
SR with VMware support is the best place to start.
If you want to look at logs, then you can either download the log bundle and then look at the extracted bundle or SSH / putty into the appliance.
The best place to start with troubleshooting a job is the look at the vdr-server.log in /usr/local/avamar/var/vdr/server_logs.
In this log, search for the backup job name.
If you do not find definitive information there for a root cause, then you can go to /usr/local/avamarclient/. In this directory, I usually do an "ls -ltR | less" and then look for the correct backup log in the returned results.
The log files here are going to be named based on the backup job name, then vmimage?.log where ? is w for windows and l for linux.
The best place to start with this log is generally the end of the log file and work your way backwards.
If these two logs do not provide information, then it is best to open an SR with VMware support.
One other point, that MIGHT help a bit.
If you SSH / putty to the VDP appliance, there are two documents in /space/avamar/doc.
One is called event_summary.txt which gives a list of all of the error codes that we generate.
The second is called event_catalog.txt which will describe the error code in a little more detail, and if a defined solution exists, then we document it there as well. A large number of the codes have "Call Support" as the Remedy.
Hope this helps.
the same problem
11/26/2013 13:37:29: Backup job named "srv-mon" started.
11/26/2013 13:37:58: Error: An unexpected error occurred with error code "10058".
11/26/2013 13:37:58: Task execution failed.
11/26/2013 13:37:58: Backup job named "srv-mon" completed.
how to fix this bug?
in file event_catalog.txt :
Code : 10058
Generated By : Client:Unknown
Summary : Failed to log into web service.
Category : SYSTEM
Type : INFORMATION
Severity : 0:OK
For Whom : Field Support Personnel
Remedy : Contact Product Support
may have an idea?
Message was edited by: Newlord
Most common resolvable issue I've seen is that snapshots aren't cleaned up after backup. Either the disk wasn't removed from VDP, or the snapshot wasn't deleted, or the snapshot was deleted on the VM, but the files weren't deleted on disk, on a VM consolidation is needed. In all of these cases, getting rid of all snapshot files (by deleting snapshots, consolidating redo logs, and checking that no orphaned VMNAME-000002.vmdk files exist on disk).
unfortunately had a failure and lost the vc and had to recover the virtual machines.
they all backup properly now.
did not find the cause but was planning a reboot, got something much bigger than a simple reboot and now its all working.
We had the exact same problem. In our case, the issue was a VM that had a snapshot. When we removed the snapshot, it failed to consolidate. We had to manually consolidate (right-click on the VM, go to "Snapshot" then "Consolidate"). It still didn't work after this so after further looking it turned out to be an incorrect variable "vmx_path" set for the .vmx file for the same VM. I knew this from looking at the VDP client logs (you can get this by logging in to the VDP configuration interface, and under the Status tab, click on "Collect client logs"). The client log showed the incorrect "vmx_path". I ended up doing a storage vmotion for the VM configuration and Hard Disk 1 to another datastore, which corrected the "vmx_path" variable and after that, VDP finally backed up the VM.
We had the issue even with a new VDP 5.5.5 appliance (we deployed it new as 5.5.5), and had to apply the fix I mentioned by consolidating snapshots and doing a storage vMotion. FYI.