VMware Cloud Community
DanM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDP 5.5 - Network Copy Support?

Hi There,

I've been working with VDP 5.5 recently and have a question regarding backup copy methods -- I know the typical method for backup is that the VDP appliance hot-adds the VMDK's of the backup source to the appliance and performs the disk copy, but was wondering if there's a network-copy fallback if hot-add is not possible. 

If network copy is actually supported, is there a way to force this as the primary backup method?

Thanks!

D.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Fallback to NBD(Network Block Device) in your terms network-copy is the default behavior if hot-add cannot be engaged. But you cannot force it to be a primary backup method. As a workaround you can have your VM datastores not shared to VDP deployed host. That way hot-add cannot be engaged and so fallback to NBD is possible.

-Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

I don't think is there any other tool available than the way you are doing .

The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Fallback to NBD(Network Block Device) in your terms network-copy is the default behavior if hot-add cannot be engaged. But you cannot force it to be a primary backup method. As a workaround you can have your VM datastores not shared to VDP deployed host. That way hot-add cannot be engaged and so fallback to NBD is possible.

-Suresh
0 Kudos