VMware Cloud Community
devs159
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA 6.5 and postgres backup

Wondering if anyone has used Veritas Netbackup to perform image-based backup the VCSA & PSC 6.5 appliances and whether it worked successfully or not? The backup would need to be crash consistent so you can restore the VC/PSC successfully.

The 3rd party backup solution would issue an API call to take a snapshot which is effectively the same as taking a snap with the Web client. VMware's documentation is 100% clear on this.

VMware Knowledge Base

3 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, you are right. It is similar to other virtual machine backups.

You have to consider the limitations with image level backups Considerations and Limitations for Image-Based Backup and Restore

Other advise is to ensure that the netbackup version supports the VCSA which you have in the environment.

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
devs159
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I've reviewed those also.

There's no difference really in how the 3rd party solution backs up the appliance vs a standard VM given you take a snapshot and this is supported by VMware as a crash consistent means of recovering. (e.g failed upgrade or patch). Veritas Netbackup 8.x does support vSphere 6.5. A customer believes we can't use Veritas to backup the appliance itself but this is incorrect as far as I can see from documentation etc.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes. You can backup the VCSA/PSC appliances with image level backups. Considering the limitations in place and i have seen many customers using the same methods to keep backups. Additionally you can use the file based backup from vami of the vcsa

Thanks,

MS