VMware Cloud Community
microproc
Contributor
Contributor

VCB Restore ?

HI

After so many tries i was able to backup with the below command:

vcbMounter.exe -h 10.1.10.10 -u root -p password -a moref:16 -r c:\mnt\newvm -t fullvm -m nbd -M 1 (Created from windows VCB)

But now i am not able to do the restore with vcbrestore command. I have created the backup from VC by installing windows VCB download from vmware site and installing on Virtual Center server. After the backup is succufully converted in single file. i moved the backup VM to /mnt/volumes/Vm Files on ESX 4. 0 Server. When i m using the below command :

vcbRestore -s /vmfs/volumes/VMFiles/newvm/ (ESX 4.0 VCB Commands)

it is not restoreing. Earlier i didnt know that ESX 4.0 has all VCB commands in linux. Can any one tell how should i restore the VM or what commands should i use to make it work.

Any good article is also appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

For restoring I usually use VMware Converter or the import function. A lot easier than with VCB!

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
microproc
Contributor
Contributor

Is Vmware Converter (free version) or the enterprrise version which comes with the license. Should i install it on the VC Server or it also has linux version and i have to install on the Service console of ESX 4.0. Can you tell more about the Import function ? where to do this or from which tool you do the import

0 Kudos
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What kind of errors are you getting? Does it fail right off the bat? have you been able to restore anything?

david

0 Kudos
microproc
Contributor
Contributor

When i execute the command, it shows the help of the command as the the syntax was not correct tried with different ways but none worked.

0 Kudos
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you show the exact command that you ran? It should look something like this

vcbRestore -u root -p password -s <source directory>

david

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you try to use -h parameter?

$vcbRestore -h localhost -u user -s /mnt/backupVM

BTW, as previous post, use Converter free one is much easier...

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos