VMware Cloud Community
rogressem
Contributor
Contributor

VCB Basic Concept Question (ip addresses of VM's)

I've just started playing with VCB, and I have a basic question. I'm testing vcbmounter, with syntax like this:

vcbmounter -h supposed to be the actual ip address (or hostname) of the guest operating system?

I'm hoping my VCB Proxy doesn't need access to the same networks that my guest operating systems are on. My VM's are on different VLANs, and in one case a completely different physical network - but all using the same iSCSI SAN. So, my VCB Proxy has access to two networks - The iSCSI network and the VMWare management network (where my service consoles and vCenter server reside).

I'm hoping that the VCB Proxy (where I'm running vcbmounter) doesn't need access to the networks that my VM's are on.

Can someone clarify for me?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
rogressem
Contributor
Contributor

Disregard - I answered my own question. No, the VCB Proxy doesn't need to see the production networks. My problem was that VMWare Tools was not installed on the windows guest operating system I was trying to backup. Through this kb article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100609...

I learned that the ip address is published by VMWare tools.

0 Kudos