VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VADP aware image backups, what happens during vmotions?

I am currently doing an evaluation of Simpana9 and was curious(before I test and screw something up) what happens if during the imagae backup, either during the snap or backing up the snap, if the VM vmotions to a new ESX host or Storage vmotions to a new Datastore. Will VADP queue it up until after?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should not see any issues even if VM is migrated through vMotion. But Storage vMotion while backup may cause a backup failure. However a subsequent backup post the storage vMotion will succeed.

In 5.1, Migrate option itself is disabled while backup. That means you'll not be able to do a manual migration of VMs while backup is in progress. However this does not impact the VMs in Automated DRS cluster

More details are available in my blog - http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/Backup-Buddy.com/2013/03/25/interoperability--vdp-vm-mobility

-Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should not see any issues even if VM is migrated through vMotion. But Storage vMotion while backup may cause a backup failure. However a subsequent backup post the storage vMotion will succeed.

In 5.1, Migrate option itself is disabled while backup. That means you'll not be able to do a manual migration of VMs while backup is in progress. However this does not impact the VMs in Automated DRS cluster

More details are available in my blog - http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/Backup-Buddy.com/2013/03/25/interoperability--vdp-vm-mobility

-Suresh
0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thankyou. We use DRS, so it seems when a backup is occuring even if DRS moves the vm to another host, the backup should continue. I assumed that and thank you for the confirmaiton. But a Storage Vmtion could hose the backup, which I guess makes sense too.

I guess then the important issue is whether your VADP enabled backup software can correctly identity the VMs that were moved in a timely manner so as not to miss the next backup cycle.

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

whether your VADP enabled backup software can correctly identity the VMs that were moved in a timely manner so as not to miss the next backup cycle.

- I am currently using VDP(vSphere Data Protection) which is built on VADP and i absolutely see no issues even if VMs are migrated. Without editing the backup job i can still continue the scheduled backups successfully

-Suresh