VMware Cloud Community
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

Understanding DR Network Setup..

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how a DR network is setup with the below with 2 physical servers running Nested ESXi (I understand nEsted ESXi is not supported by VMware, thius is just for understanding purposes).

In the diagram below I want to migrate VM 10.10.10.30 from Nested ESXi 10.10.10.10 to 10.10.10.20.

TryllZ_2-1707255370987.png

My question is will there be IP conflict of Firewall VMs on both Physical servers as both have the same IP 10.10.10.1 even though both are on different servers ?

If the above is true then I'm understanding VM Gateway does not need to be changed once it moves from 10.10.10.10 to 10.10.10.20, but if its not then gateway IP has to be changed in the VM.

The purpose of this question is to understand how DR network is setup because for the VM to migrate and continue working normally the infrastructure has to have the same IP addresses, else a lot have to be changed, or am i misunderstanding something ?!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In a DR setup with nested ESXi, IP conflicts for Firewall VMs with identical IPs on different servers are avoided by isolating them in separate network segments. This allows the same IP addresses to be used without issue. When migrating a VM, if the network setup mirrors the original, there's no need to change the VM's gateway IP.

Essentially, the DR network should replicate the primary network setup to ensure seamless VM operation post-migration, avoiding the hassle of reconfiguring IPs.

0 Kudos