VMware Cloud Community
raghavendrats
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to see Snapshots created when we restore a VM using VRD

Hello guys,

I started using VRD on my vsphere 4 cluster. I can take the backup of a running VM with some snapshots created in that without any issues. Even I can see that VRD creates a tempervory snapshot while taking the backup and deletes that once the backup is done. But the problem is when I am restoring the same VM or do rehearsal restore I am not seeing any snapshots in the restored VM which are created. I see that all my snapshots are commited in the restoed VM.

any idea how I can include my snapshots in VRD? I want to keep my snapshots in the restored VM as it is.

Thanks..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No VADP enabled solution, including VDR, maintains the snapshot tree.

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

VDR is reading the disk not the files. It isn't a great idea maintaining snapshots for very long.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015180 Understanding snapshots

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
raghavendrats
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. But by using vRanger Backup Solutions I can restore VMs with all snapshots. Do you mean VDR doesent support this feature?

Then I feel it would be better to use Vranger instead of VDR in my cluster. because I need snapshot status of VMs when I restore it back. I dont want that to be commited.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I stand corrected. This is a VDR attribute. Other VADP vendors have/can implement differently.

raghavendrats
Contributor
Contributor

You are Right!

I just confirmed with VMware that currently VRD dosent have this feature.

0 Kudos