VMware Cloud Community
Spiffyjimmer
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to mount VMFS after rebuilding partition table

Hello All,

I am currently working on the issue with two vmfs files that were wiped when a raid card was swapped.

So far I have rebuilt the partition table on the drive and can see the partition from the devices, though I have been unable to mount the partition and when I try adding the drive the only option i have is to wipe it out.

Currently I am running a data recovery on one of the drive but due to time constraints and working to repair the drives to bring the system back online faster.

At this point I thnk the issue is with the lvm but i am out of my depth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Justin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

One of the few people that would be able to help is continuum

0 Kudos
Spiffyjimmer
Contributor
Contributor

To add to my original post.

The two drives which ran into issues are both 500 GB SSDs.

To rebuild the partition I ran the following commands.

partedUtil getptbl <Device Path> - which gave me the following output

gpt

62260 255 63 1000215182

I used the above information to calculate the end sector using the formula (62260*255*63)-1=1000206899

Next I ran the following command against the problem drive:

partedUtil setptbl <Device Path> gpt "1 2048 100206899 AA31E02A400F11DB9590000C2911D1D8 0"

With this done the output finished but shows the following

gpt

0 0 0 0

1 2048 1000206899 AA31E02A400F11DB9590000C2911D1B8 0

Next vmkfstools -V which didnt mount the drive.

I then swapped the last sector for the data in the partedUtil getUsableSector which had the same results as above.

Currently my best guess is that I have the partition table wrong though the partition looks to be present now on the disk.

In my travels around the internet I did see Ulli ask about the lvm from the Voma command which reports an issue with the magic number though I am unsure if this is a red herring or not. I am continuing my research and will update should I make progress.

Best,

Justin

0 Kudos
Spiffyjimmer
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion.

After a lot of Googling he is on my list of people I am going to reach out to in addition to the forums here.

Best,

Justin

0 Kudos