VMware Cloud Community
AudunHjertholm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to delete Snapshots

Hi,

We are using Veeam Backup & Replication version 10.0 for backup.

VMware vCenter Appliance 6.7 u2 and tree ESXi hosts version 6.5.0.

During backup last weekend, vCenter was unable to delete the snapshot after Veeam backup on one VM (Windows 2012 server).Snapshot bilde.jpg

When i try to delete the SnapShots manually by using vCenter, I got this error message:

Another process.jpg

Now, we are not able to power off the VM, Migrate, Clone, Edit settings because of the message "another task is already in progress"

What can we do do solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Best regards,

Audun

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AudunHjertholm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI

Migrating VMs away from the ESxi host and Power Off the ESXi host using the Power button  solved the problem.

Then I could delete all snapshots on the problem VM using vCenter.

Thank you for your response!

/Audun

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

To restart the management agents on ESX host:
Log in to your ESX Server as root from either an SSH session or directly from the console of the server and launch the following commands:

service mgmt-vmware restart
service vmware-vpxa restart

and restart hostd

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm that no Veeam backup job is still in progress, and that the VM's virtual disk(s) has been removed from all Veeam proxies (assuming Veeam is configured to use the Hot-Add backup method)?

Once confirmed, check whether for running tasks from the ESXi host's command line, on which the VM is currently running. Depending on that furter action can be taken.

1. vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms
  2. vim-cmd vmsvc/get.tasklist <Vmid>
  3. vim-cmd vimsvc/task_info <haTask-###-vim.VirtualMachine.TaskName-from-Step-2-###>

Use step 1 to determine the VM's Vmid, then check for running tasks using the determined Vmid in step 2. In case there's an active task, you can get the task details with the command in step 3.

André

0 Kudos
AudunHjertholm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Andrè

Thank you for Your response.

There is no Veeam backup job running.

I can check for running tasks on that Esxi host tomorrow

Just a silly question:

If I Power Down the ESXi host, to stop and restart the services, would that help?

/Audun

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If I Power Down the ESXi host, to stop and restart the services, would that help?

That may help (no 100% sure, but likely), but since you cannot migrate the VM off that host, you'd need to shut it down for the reboot.

André

PS: Depending on which task may be running, this could as well cause issues with the VM.

0 Kudos
AudunHjertholm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is not possible to shut down the VM and I cannot migrate it to other host, so I have a problem Smiley Sad

I can migrate all the other VMs to another hosts and then Power Off the host with the VM by using the Power button.

Not recomended, but I can.

I have Veeam backup for sure.

What do you think about that?

/Audun

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is not possible to shut down the VM ...

Not even from within the guest OS?

André

0 Kudos
AudunHjertholm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is correct.

I can`t log in to the VM, there in no way to shut the VM down. I can`t Access the guest OS, so I am really stucked.

/Audun

0 Kudos
AudunHjertholm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI

Migrating VMs away from the ESxi host and Power Off the ESXi host using the Power button  solved the problem.

Then I could delete all snapshots on the problem VM using vCenter.

Thank you for your response!

/Audun

0 Kudos