VMware Cloud Community
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying to Expand storage on VDP advanced 6.0 but getting "Failed to determine current capacity"

I've been recently hitting +90% on one VDP appliance.  In trying to expand the storage, I always get an error:  "Failed to determine the appliance's current capacity."  If I telnet into the appliance, it shows the capacities of the stripe just fine.

I've tried migrating the appliance to another host, rebooting it and deleting snapshots.  So far, not having any luck.

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

For what did you created snapshots on a VDP? Was it for backup the VDP?

Check if a storage disk(s) set to Independent mode.

If it is not - shutdown the appliance, set the storage disk(s) to Independent mode and start the appliance.

Run a manual integrity check.

Try again.

0 Kudos
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I said deleted snapshots, I meant deleting old backups.

All of the disks except for disk 1 (the OS) are independent However, when looking at the settings, I notice one of the disks in the array is 560GB and the other 2 are 512GB.  Very weird and might explain why it can't determine the space.  How would I safely resize that?

vdpstorageissue.png

0 Kudos
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe you are right

I have the same VDP like you.

And I have same size (512 GB) over all three discs.

Please check the commands (as root):

(http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=209357...)

mccli server show-prop

and

fdisk -l

0 Kudos
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

in addition, let's check the server log when you try to expand the storage:

-1- Open a telnet or ssh connect and put the string

tail -f /space/avamar/var/mc/server_log/mcserver.log.0 | grep -iE "current|cap|space|expand|error|warn"

-2- Open WEB-ACCESS (https://IP:8543/vdp-configure/) and try to expand the storage again

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hi guys,

i faced same Problem with 6.0.2 and opend a Vmware Ticket.

they told me that's an known Bug and solved in 6.1.

Yes and for 6.1  they have SLES11 SP3  and theire is no in-place Upgrade available.  need to create new VDP and to migrate all stuff over. 

Painfully

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP 6.1 install can automate the migration.  During the install process VDP copies the config and powers down the original VDP appliance.  Then you attache the old vmdk's to the new install.  Not as convenient as attaching the iso but it wasn't to bad the one time I did it.  Although admin guide doesn't say anything about data domains.  Hopefully migration will still work when using data domains.

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

@RyanJMN : yes know.  but i have concerns for the Efforts as the Disk names are not fitting to the new VDP or?   so need to change the vmdk name and pointer file etc,.. or did they cared to fit it?  i didn't tested so far this automaticly migration. 

0 Kudos