VMware Cloud Community
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trouble writing to destination volume, error -102 ( I/O error)

HI All

I installed vDR1.2. Ran vDR for few days on couple of VMs, all went well. last night I setup around 10 VMs for backup  & I have some of them failed with this error "Trouble writing to destination volume, error -102 ( I/O error)" I am using CIFS share as destination.

also one of the VMs crashed!!

any suggestion?

thanks

Aj

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I have some of them failed with this error "Trouble writing to destination volume, error -102 ( I/O error)" I am using CIFS share as destination.

As you will quickly realize, we are tired of VDR posts.  Therefore this post will probably get skipped.  VDR is an abosolute HORRIBLE app.  We ALL know it's HORRIBLE.  We don't want to discuss it anymore, my advice is search for this error, I am CERTAIN there is another post for it, and an answer to your problem.  VDR has MANY MANY issues, and almost NONE have any definitive fix.

Although the answer you may NOT want to hear is reboot VDR, MAYBE the problem goes away.  There are hundreds if not thousands of VDR posts, but quite frankly, they don't do any good, until VM Ware gets rid of it, or FIXES the issues with it.  Until then I would suggest you use some other backup appliance.  That is if you REALLY want reliable backups of course.

0 Kudos
TransennaTCF
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ajay;

VDR is really picky about connectivty to the CIFS host! Therefore make sure it (or they) dont run any other services, A/V SW or anything else that can disrupt the network traffic. Have you got good bandwidth between the ESX- and CIFS hosts; not any qwerky firewalls, overloaded switches? Can your CIFS host deliver the requested I/O? Without being an expert, I can se that several hundred files (slabs) are open for read/write ops at any given time and by nature, I would expect that the more packed the deduped CIFS store becomes, the more critical I/O becomes.

You write that one of the VM's crashed; was this one of your production VM or  one of the VDR aps.? It doesnt make sense that your production VM crsh, unless they run out of space on the VMFS store where the VMs snapshot data is being stored?

How large is your CIFS store and how much space have you got free. In my experience it is important to have plenty of free space on the CIFS store; go with at least 20-25% overcapacity. A complicating factor here is, that depending on the numer of VMs, the type of VM and the retension policy, this can be very difficult to plan for, so if possible, max it to 500GB if you can and try not to populate it above 400GB.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Thomas

idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

as suggest above, try using a local storage, or if possible move to other backup like quest vranger or veeam backup. they give me more hours of sleep 😃

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

they give me more hours of sleep 😃

You don't sleep. Smiley Wink

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

:smileysilly: .. I will rephrase, they give me more hours to be here. haha.

p/s i'm on GMT +8, that's why you might see me being active during your sleeping time.

0 Kudos
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Guys for your comments, I will try and get back to you.

Cheers

Ajay

0 Kudos