VMware Cloud Community
phykell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thecus NAS Configuration for VDR

I've just purchased a Thecus NAS which will primarily serve as storage for VMware Data Recovery destinations. The unit has 16 drives in total and I've populated the first 8 bays with 2 TB SAS drives.

So far I've decided to go with a single RAID 50 array across the 8 drives (giving me up to 12 TB available storage) as a compromise on speed, capacity and reliability. I did consider a RAID 60 or even a RAID 6 and I will be adding a hot-spare to protect the array still further. Comments welcome about my choice of RAID 50 of course Smiley Happy

I intend to deploy 2 TB LUNs (a maximum of 6) across the array using VMFS for the VDR destinations. I may configure a couple of LUNs for Windows shares but if that means compromising the VDR LUNs, I'll probably configure those across a second array when I add further drives at a later date.

As RAID 50 means I'll be striping, I would appreciate any advice on the choice of stripe size - the unit defaults to 64 kB stripe size but I'm not sure if this will be the best choice as the VMFS will be a single, very large file. However, the VDR backup data is probably relatively small in terms of file element size so will this still have any bearing on how the RAID striping is configured?

Any comments/suggestions welcome Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
0 Replies