VMware Cloud Community
bed2501
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks and follow up question for continuum

@continuum 

Why did you burst into laughter when I asked if those pointer files were part of the recovery process?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

😎😂

Watching you when you somehow driven by instinct started to rename the files again so that the WinSCP list looks like what you are used to see in Datastorebrowser. Even when I told you a minute before that this renaming nonsense would sabotage the work we had done before.

Then you had  that moment of sudden realisation that you had been fooled for years - and though I know that that happens probably daily - I never had seen that life.
Then that short moment when the thought "now wait ! - that behaviour is not cool" switched into
"now wait !!! - this is not cool at all - this behaviour is not even consistent - why would someone design it like this ?" - then you found a satisfying explanation and apparently remembered that the purpose obviously once must have been to make live easier".
But do not stop here ! The final conclusion is no longer funny at all.

Keep in mind that the DatastoreBrowser is used as the only buildin UI-tool to display the content of a directory that is used by your VMs.
Mainstream documentation and Knowledgebase also pretend that the behaviour is normal.

Is this a severe issue - worth trying to change anything about it ? - not really.
Users that in the first reaction after seeing a scary flat.vmdk later blame themselves for their borderline sabotage response and never even consider that the DatastoreBrowser was the problem.
Now that all sounds like the final conclusion boils down to the assumption that VMware enginneers must have a mean streak - not favourable if you plan for a longterm relation ...
So what is the best approach here ?  Actually it is super simple : just assume there is a  very little minor flaw in the suggested vSphere training schedule.
Just tell new users NOT to use Datastorebrowser and not to read the documentation in the first  week - instead wait until common-sense and WinSCP teached you how it really works. Once you understood that - you will not run into the traps it opens for you.

Probably folks will argue and say "How can you suggest to start without the documentation ... - this is essential knowhow !"
Not for long though - if you remember our 5 minutes test-scenario ...

And dont forget this one if somebody asks ."So you suggest to use a tool that only displays correctly -when it stops trying to oversimplify ? - really ?? 😎

Ulli

Just think about that failed motorcycle add that displayed 2 wheels when it was showed speeding long straights.
In corners and in rainy weather it appeard with one white rubber wheel.
Started with the same intention: lets use design that makes it easier.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

😎😂

Watching you when you somehow driven by instinct started to rename the files again so that the WinSCP list looks like what you are used to see in Datastorebrowser. Even when I told you a minute before that this renaming nonsense would sabotage the work we had done before.

Then you had  that moment of sudden realisation that you had been fooled for years - and though I know that that happens probably daily - I never had seen that life.
Then that short moment when the thought "now wait ! - that behaviour is not cool" switched into
"now wait !!! - this is not cool at all - this behaviour is not even consistent - why would someone design it like this ?" - then you found a satisfying explanation and apparently remembered that the purpose obviously once must have been to make live easier".
But do not stop here ! The final conclusion is no longer funny at all.

Keep in mind that the DatastoreBrowser is used as the only buildin UI-tool to display the content of a directory that is used by your VMs.
Mainstream documentation and Knowledgebase also pretend that the behaviour is normal.

Is this a severe issue - worth trying to change anything about it ? - not really.
Users that in the first reaction after seeing a scary flat.vmdk later blame themselves for their borderline sabotage response and never even consider that the DatastoreBrowser was the problem.
Now that all sounds like the final conclusion boils down to the assumption that VMware enginneers must have a mean streak - not favourable if you plan for a longterm relation ...
So what is the best approach here ?  Actually it is super simple : just assume there is a  very little minor flaw in the suggested vSphere training schedule.
Just tell new users NOT to use Datastorebrowser and not to read the documentation in the first  week - instead wait until common-sense and WinSCP teached you how it really works. Once you understood that - you will not run into the traps it opens for you.

Probably folks will argue and say "How can you suggest to start without the documentation ... - this is essential knowhow !"
Not for long though - if you remember our 5 minutes test-scenario ...

And dont forget this one if somebody asks ."So you suggest to use a tool that only displays correctly -when it stops trying to oversimplify ? - really ?? 😎

Ulli

Just think about that failed motorcycle add that displayed 2 wheels when it was showed speeding long straights.
In corners and in rainy weather it appeard with one white rubber wheel.
Started with the same intention: lets use design that makes it easier.