VMware Cloud Community
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Symantec netbackup configuration for VMware

HI ,

I am trying to configure Netbackup master server  7.0 to take backup of all virtual machine. I am using EMC Fibrechannel  and vmware 4.0 for VMware

Environemnt.  Now i want to take VM backup by Netbackup.   Please answer below mention.

1.  Do i need to present all the luns to Netbackup master server also to take san free backup of Vmware .

2. How it is possible to do the same thing without presenting all the luns to Master/Backup server.

3. i have 100 VM's and How can i take the agent free full vmbackup.

Ravi
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

1.  Do i need to present all the luns to Netbackup master server also to take san free backup of Vmware .

I'm assuming you mean "LAN-free backup" above.  You will need to present the LUNs to your NetBackup server, if you want LAN-free backups.

2. How it is possible to do the same thing without presenting all the luns to Master/Backup server.

In your policy, choose something other than SAN for the "transfer type."

Choose "FlashBackup-Windows" for your policy type, and this will get the full VM.

i dont want the lunns to be present on any other server accept esx.

Why, or what is the reason for this?  Are your NetBackup Servers running Windows?  Who has access to the backup servers?

Can any body give the step by step document to configure windows  backuphost(netbackup server ) to take VMware lan free backup by using  Vstorage API.

Everything you need is in the "Symantec NetBackup (tm) 7.0 for VMware Guide"

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this is possible via vstorage api for data protection (VADP) integration between vsphere and netbackup. 1) yes, 2) no, 3) pleas read more on VADP

0 Kudos
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for your reply.

But still i thinhk we need to exposed all the used lun to Backup server.   is there any other way so i can take the lan free backup with out exposing luns to backup server.. do you have any document which carrying configuration.

Ravi
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can get more from the netbackup documentation or have a look at this video for more understanding: https://symantecevents.webex.com/mw0305l/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=symantecevents

0 Kudos
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can any body give the step by step document to configure windows backuphost(netbackup server ) to take VMware lan free backup by using Vstorage API.

Ravi
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

I'm assuming you mean "LAN-free backup" above.  You will need to present the LUNs to your NetBackup server, if you want LAN-free backups.

In your policy, choose something other than SAN for the "transfer type."

Choose "FlashBackup-Windows" for your policy type, and this will get the full VM.

Why, or what is the reason for this?  Are your NetBackup Servers running Windows?  Who has access to the backup servers?

Can any body give the step by step document to configure windows  backuphost(netbackup server ) to take VMware lan free backup by using  Vstorage API.

Everything you need is in the "Symantec NetBackup (tm) 7.0 for VMware Guide"

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos