VMware Cloud Community
osxman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shutdown VDR VM properly

Hi, just downloaded and installed VDR 1.2.0.1131 build 260251. I want to shut down this VM but can't figure out how to. I log in to the console and type shutdown now, and it goes through unloading processes, etc. Once finished I am still left with a command prompt and the VM is still on. Do I have to do something else or can I simply power it off?I have tried'shutdown' with various other switches but to no avail.

I tried to log in via the web interface but after approx 4 mins I get the following message:

Invalid server response, CIM server is unreachable. Please try again.

I can ping IP and DNS of the VDR VM

Any ideas?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

1. shutdown -h now works fine for me.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f10

VCP3, VCP4, HPCP, HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mbx369
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Have you tried to just "power-off" the VDR?

Was any backup running?

~~~~~ To Live Is To Die ~~~~~

Please awards points if this was useful. :) ~~~~~ To Live Is To Die ~~~~~ VCP3/4/5
0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

1. shutdown -h now works fine for me.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f10

VCP3, VCP4, HPCP, HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Xeonel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Right click on VM, Power -> Shutdown Guest (or Ctrl+D when VM is selected) if you want to do it from the gui.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sometimes our vDRs will get stuck shutting down services. So for us it is:

1st > Shutdown VM, if I catch the VM taking longer than expected, just Power Off.

Sometimes, when I do the power off the VM will boot up fine but will say that the deduplicated store is invalid. Just run an integrity check and everything should be back to normal. Integrity checks take a long while if you have a lot of VMs backed up.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Any ideas?

I use the website of the VDR. There is a shutdown button... shutdown now, shutdown -h and poweroff ALL work fine in the console.

VDR seems to shutdown fine never had trouble with that.

0 Kudos
osxman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's done it!

Thanks

0 Kudos