VMware Cloud Community
rgm34
Contributor
Contributor

Selecting a SAN (Interpreting Perfmon Disk IO Counters)

I have eight servers in my LAN Room, four are Windows 2003, the others are Windows XP boxes that don't do a lot. I also have an MSA 1000. I am looking to upgrade my SAN and implement VMware in 2010. Replication to a DR site is a future requirement.

A number of vendors have been in for demos and all of them have asked me to run Perfmon collecting the counters listed below for a 24 hour period and email them the files. None of them will tell me what they are looking for. I can open them in excel but beyond that I'm not sure what they are doing with the numbers. People in our office travel often so I've been collecting these for two weeks and really don't want to ftp all of the files to the vendors.

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Disk Reads/sec

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Disk Writes/sec

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Disk Read Bytes/sec

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Disk Write Bytes/sec

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Bytes/Read

\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Bytes/Write

Can someone tell me what i should be looking at, I want to make sure I purchase the best system for our environment.

Are there other Perfmon counters I should be collecting?

Thank you.

Robert

I thought I was in the Enterprise Planning Community when I created the thread. My mistake, will post in correct forum. I apologize for multiple postings of the same question. Can't find a way to delete this message. Wasn't how I wanted to start out on this site.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies