VMware Cloud Community
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Restoring vCenter with vDR to ESXi

Ok, I've looked and looked, and I know I can't be the first to try this.  Here goes.  I backed up all my VM's on the single ESXi host I have running to a NAS device with vDR.  I've moved my ESXi (flash card) do a different server with the same specs.  Now I'm trying to restore the VM's to the local storage on the ESXi host.  vCenter is a VM which is not running until I can get it restored. 

When I try and connect to the vDR appliance I get the following error.

Screen shot 2011-06-29 at 9.24.04 AM.png

I've rebooted the appliance and I've edited the /etc/host file with the ESXi host info.  I have not redeployed the appliance yet.  Will do that now and post the results. 

If anyone has any insight please do tell and thanks.

Will Johnson VCP on VI3 / VI4 vSphere 5
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you tried to connect to the vDR appliance via IP?  Also, is that appliance up and running to begin with?

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Pretty sure vCenter must be running for vDR to function.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It appears you may be able to. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/245002

johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes the vDR is running and I can ping the appliance from the host, via ssh.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If that is the case, I'm not liking vDR so much, especially if the VMware recommends vCenter running as a VM.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've been trying the link you posted and still not working for me.  It's like the ESXi host is unable to recognize the vDR appliance.  That my guess because when I click "Connect" the it's trying to power on the appliance when it is already powered on.  What gives?

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would like to thank you guys for the replies... I have figured out my problem.  I have to create a port group on the management vSwitch and add it to the vDR VM and it started to work.  I did have it configured like that before, but I had vCenter in place.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting your success. It will be very helpful for others. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I spoke to soon.  After I import the config from the vDR backup I get the error.  As long as I don't import the config it connects just fine.  I then reboot the appliance and it goes through the following 15 times before it reboots. "Waiting for VMware Data Recovery to stop... (1 of 15) and so on.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you try to run the Setup Wizard to have it re authenticate to the ESXi host.

You can  easily test it.  Instead of connecting vSphere Client to the vCenter  Server name/IP address, connect to the ESX host that the VDR appliance  is running on.   Then click on the VDR icon under Solutions -  I think  it will ask you to reauthenticate to the ESX host login/password - if  not, run the Setup Wizard again (under the configuration tab).  Then  attempt to do a restore (VM or file).

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not yet, I will do that now and let you know.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you say "run the Setup Wizard again (under the configuration tab).", where can I locate the tab?  sorry I don't think I've ever seen a setup wizard under a tab.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you connect to the vDR appliance from the Solutions and Applications Plugin (as though you were going to start a backup) You should have Backup Restore Reports and Configuration tabs.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, now I understand.  The problem is.  I can't get to that point due the appliance not connecting.  As long as I don't import the config from the back I can connect, only when I import the config I can't.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can only guess that the vDR plugin is trying to authenticate to the vCenter server. I would try adding the plugin to a different machine and connect to the new ESXi host with the vSphere client. The first connection attempt should start the wizard.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm going to redeploy the appliance and try adding the datastore with the backups and not import the configs and see what happens.  I will post my results.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Success....!  Not importing the config when adding the datastore back to the vDR did the trick.  I can see all of my VM's that I backed up and in the process of restoring them along with vCenter.  I'm a happy camper.  I'd like to thank you guys for all your replies and to you DSTAVERT for sticking with me.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Very happy you are up and running. If you have the time could you document the steps you took.

0 Kudos