VMware Cloud Community
Mirko_Huth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Restore error: Incompatible device backing specified for device '1' !!!

Hello!

I get the following error when doing a restore rehearsal:

Incompatible device backing specified for device '1'

I'm using the latest VDR version. Any ideas??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This error will occur if an ISO file was mounted on the VM's CD/DVD Drive 1 when the VM was backed up. As a workaround, please try restoring only the VMDK file.

Mirko_Huth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The options "Connected" and "Connect at power on" were disabled. Device Type "Host device" pointing to a drive that was marked as "(device unavailable)" at the end.

Not sure where that comes from or why that should cause issues because it was disconnected.

However restore rehearsal was not working. But i was able to run a normal restore without error. That's a weird behaviour.

BTW, during this i thought it would be a good idea to be able to choose on what backup version the backup rehearsal is using. It is automatically using the last backup.

Not a good idea if the last one is corrupt Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

So, were all the affected VMs restore points in this state or did you make a change to prior to the last restore point?

0 Kudos
Mirko_Huth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Azmir,

there where no changes between restore points and a regular restore was possible. Only restore rehearsal did not work and if you do a restore rehearsal there is no option to choose the restore point.

Regards

Mirko

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The "(device unavailable)" setting looks like the catalyst for the error. My guess is that when Restore Rehearsal attempts to create the VMX file for the new VM, the invalid configuration for that device is detected and the error is thrown. Perhaps a normal restore (where you are overwriting a VM rather than creating a new one) works because that process compares settings in the VMX files? It would be interesting to see what occurs when restoring with an invalid configuration setting over a valid configuration setting.

During Restore Rehearsal you can choose a different restore point by clicking on the "Source Selection" link in the wizard.

0 Kudos