VMware Cloud Community
ejacobs
Contributor
Contributor

Restarting VDP hangs at starting VDP appliance systems.

estimnated time to complete: 10 minutes. But it has been much longer than 10 minutes. Powered off and powered on. Didn't help

8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

yes it does take time more than that. I had around 30 minutes.Wait for it power on patiently..The reason the boot time is more since it needs to load stripes, indexes and checkpoints

0 Kudos
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would also avoid powering off during this time. VDP should always be shut down gracefully (OS shutdown, not power off). Powering off a VDP appliance can lead to more issues.

0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the VDP is hanging during its "Reconfiguration of the network" and not progressing, check the following:

SSH or putty into the appliance. 

Run the command "ls -l /usr/local/vdr/etc"

You should see a file named vdr-configuration-deploying.xml (NOTE : named deployING not deployED).

If this file exists and is zero bytes in length, then the VDP appliance will hang during its network reconfiguration processing.

Remove the file and restart the appliance via OS shutdown.

Note, if this solution applies to you, you may need to reconfigure the VDP appliance after its reboot, as this situation should only occur if the root partition was full when you were trying to reconfigure the appliance.

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
raldridge254
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem.

I ran the command GSparks suggested  - "ls -l /usr/local/vdr/etc"

One of the files - vdp_jobs_created was showing Zero Bytes.  I renamed this and restart the appliance.

It this booted correctly.

I would say though when I ran the command after the vdp_jobs_created still showed 0 bytes but now it worked.

Worth a try if nothing else.

0 Kudos
GeoffAV
Contributor
Contributor

Just had the same problem.  It took 2 hours to restart.  Seems to be ok now...  but a bit unnerving

0 Kudos
MuselT
Contributor
Contributor

I had a problem deploying the vDP appliance as well.  After I had deployed it from the Windows client, it would boot up fine and get stuck running the first time configuration wizard when I logged into the web client, even after multiple graceful reboots.  I deleted the appliance from the disk and redeployed, this time from the web client and it started as advertised.  There must be differences in how the appliance gets registered in vCenter between the web and windows clients.

0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Similar experience myself restarting the vdp appliance and just adding it here in case its useful to others. using ssh to login to the VDP appliance and run "top" showed me there was some activity (if not alot of active processes) but once the appliance starting initialising proxies java commands came to the fore on "top" followed shortly by vdp related tasks in vSphere and the vdp the console window displaying the vdp login prompt. All in all the time from vdp poweron task to reconfigure virtual machine task was 2hrs 19mins

0 Kudos
xz2yqb
Contributor
Contributor

in my case I had that issue "VDP hangs at starting VDP appliance systems" after trying making the upgrade from 5.8 to 5.8.2 following this procedure  http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration-... ; so I think when I made the part of creating an snapshot could be affected something in the configuration; and after the first reboot took 104 minutes to start all the services. now everything is fine

0 Kudos