VMware Cloud Community
Plazmotron2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recovery VM

Good day!

Please, tell me how to recreate correctly Virtual Machine, if I have following files on my hard drive: X.nvram, X.vmdk, X_1.vmdk, X-flat.vmdk, X_1-flat.vmdk.?

Thank you for your time!

Anna)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Regardless of which VMware product you are using (you don’t state one) the principle is the same: Create a new VM, don’t give it a virtual hard disk, add a hard disk to it using your existing vmdk file (point to the small text descriptor file, not the “flat” file)

You will need to know the type of virtual disk controller was originally used, as the guest OS will need drivers installed and enabled for it. There may be a way of finding that out by looking at the descriptor vmdk file, I can’t remember and don’t have one to check.

The pairs of vmdk files you have indicate there are 2 virtual disks, so you’ll need to add both to the new VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Plazmotron2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you so much!!!

0 Kudos