VMware Cloud Community
trussell
Contributor
Contributor

Question on VMFS and VCB Proxy

Hello Everyone,

This is probably a dumb question (more of a curiousity), but I don't have a development system to play on.

I'm using ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 (2 ESX servers sharing 3 VMFS volumes on the SAN) and I'm configuring VCB (SAN, Netbackup, Stand alone, physical proxy server). I believe I've done everything but make my 3 VMFS volumes visible to the VCB proxy server. What will windows do when it see's the 3 new disks? Will disk manager ask me to initialize them? Is there anything I don't want to do with them within windows?

Forgive me.

Thanks,

Timmr72

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Yes it will mount them and give them a Windows signature, which looks nice but it not something you would want to happen. You will need to disable automount:

diskpar
automount disable
automount scrub

So it's pretty straight forward but this needs to be done absolutely before you present the VMFS volumes to the VCB proxy. if you type just "automount" you can see the current setting. (it's either enabled or disabled)

Duncan

VCDX | VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
trussell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that. I have actually done those steps. So, since the VMFS volumes are not new unformatted disks, I should be able to present them to the VCB proxy server and be able to open Disk Manager without being prompted to initialize them or write a signature to them. Is this right?

Thanks again,

Timmr72

0 Kudos
trussell
Contributor
Contributor

Also, I thought the "automount disable" really only affected RDM disks (which I don't have at the moment but may have again). Regardless, I've done both the disable and the scrub.

0 Kudos