VMware Cloud Community
tobivm
Contributor
Contributor

Problem: vDR -> Backup big VMs

Hello VMware Community,

I have some issues with VMware Data Recovery (vDR) when trying to schedule backup tasks for big VMs.

If I start the task manually it runs flawless.

But when I schedule a task it stops at ~00:00 and throws the attached errors/messages.

ESX Version: 4.1
vDR Version: 1.2.0.1131
VM OS         : Win 2003 SRV x64 (~400GB VMDK)

Pls dont tell me that huge VMs like this are sensless in an iSCSI enviroment...

In order to solve this I'm thinking about scheduling the task via /etc/crontab, etc. "inside" the vDR appliance.

But its rough to get some Docu for it.

Anyone can help me?

Regards,
Tobias

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The backup log looks like you are reaching the end of the backup window, so the job gets terminated.

The first full backup of this VM needs more than 24 hours to complete.

Do you have a backup window for more than 24 hours open for this VM?

0 Kudos
tobivm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for reply.

The task is planned from Saturday 00:00 to Sunday 24:00 -> 48h (see attached).

But it stops after 24 hours (by design?) !

Any ideas?

I`m still looking for a hint to schedule the job via /etc/crontab or something!

Thank you!

Tobias

0 Kudos
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hallo Tobias,

i think this is a bug in the VDR-appliance. By design, it's a backup solution for daily backups, but a backup taking more than 24 hours should also be possible! I have no solution for starting backup Jobs with crontab. But if you start the first backup manualy, the second one should be an incremental backup an should take much less time to complete. From your first log I can see that the backup was a Full backup. Do you backup a RAW device in Virtual mode? So this could be the reason why VDR is always doing a Full backup.

Paul

0 Kudos
tobivm
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo Paul,

thanks again for reply.

I`ve tried this already but the incremental after a (sucessful) manual backup also seems to take more than 24h... (or something else happened, but also failed)

I´m going to look inside the "vDr Blackbox" again, if I find a solution I´ll let u know.

Tobias

edit: Pointing to the raw device question - We don`t use this feature.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I wouldn't tinker with the inner workings of vDR. Find some other solution. Remember that the ultimate goal here isn't to backup. It is to recover the data in the event that something goes terribly wrong. While an adjusted vDR appliance may start capturing data, you will have a tough time testing. Recovery will take an eternity. A recatalog or intergrety check may take many days.

I would look at ways to break up a large vmdk into manageable chunks. Not all data is created equal. Think about all the data that doesn't change from month to month, year to year. Very active critical data doesn't deserve to be treated the same as the inactive data.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator