VMware Cloud Community
shawnnny
Contributor
Contributor

Physical-Virtual DR

My company has around 6 physical servers, all running Windows Server 2003 Std. 32-bit with local storage. The server roles are AD, HR App, Citrix, File Server, SAP App, Mail. We plan to setup a DR site at a Hosting Company DC. We will start off with 1 ESX/vSphere Host and 1 iSCSI SAN. My question would be, how am I going to replicate the Physical Machines with Virtual Machines once I P2V them? I'm aware of SRM, but this only works if my production servers are already virtualized.

When disaster strikes, user would be able accessing the identical servers in DR site. There would be files and data updates and changes. These have to be replicated back to the physical servers before users start accessing them again. Your advice or solution is very much appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums - so if I understand your question - your 6 servers will remain physical but you want to have virtual machines in your DR site - I would take a look at Double Take - it will allow you to achieve this capability -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
shawnnny
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, the 6 physical servers will remain. The Virtualization initiative started when we wanted to have a cost effective DR Site. Most of the software solution mentioned about replicating or backing up to Virtual Servers in DR Site but nothing on replicating the other way round. They assume there are no files/data changes made when users are accessing servers in DR Site. Once primary site is up and running, users will not be getting the latest set of data/files.

I'll check out Double Take. To double confirm, can Vizioncore's vRanger, vReplicator, Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery, Falconstor CDP, do that?

0 Kudos
marktbreaux
Contributor
Contributor

If something happens, why not just go to vmware vpshere with an iscsi san at that point? You would save a ton of money and have a lot more growth. Doubletake will do what you want. I think also Platespin has a product that would work. Not sure of pricing on either.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

hello

i am wondering why u want to keep the 6 physical servers ? life is alot easier if they are vms Smiley Happy

0 Kudos