VMware Cloud Community
samojitd
Contributor
Contributor

Orphaned Snapshots files are left behind post backup using Commvault

Hello Techies,

We have a situation where Orphaned snapshots files are left behind post backup. And due to this, the storage is getting filled and we are experiencing low throughput.

Backup Solution is from Commvault.

I know we can clean up the snapshot files manually every time but am looking for a solution to stop this permanently OR, is there not a way to keep it from happening

Let me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi samojitd..

What transport mode(s) are you using to back up your VMs?

SAN, HotAdd or nbd?

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
samojitd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rubeck,

I am very new with VMware, can you please elaborate your question. I mean the issue (which am facing) depends on the transport mode.

Thanks,
Samojit Das

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

To understand what's going on your VM backup procedure, check this link. Then look at the following link:

https://blah.cloud/infrastructure/safely-checkremove-orphaned-vmdk-files-from-esxi/

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi samojitd

Sorry for my late reply..

When using SAN mode. VMWare datastores (or datastore snapshots if using CVLT Intellisnap) are presented to physical CVLT Media Agents and then VM virtual disks (.vmdks) and related files are backed up.

When using HotAdd, client VMs .vmdks are "hotadded" to specific VMs where the CVLT Virtual Server Agent (VSA) agent is installed. The VSAs transfers the backup data to your CVLT Media Agents.

When using nbd, CVLT VSAs connect directly to ESXi hosts and transfers backup data to your CVLT Media Agents.

When using SAN mode or HotAdd make sure that:

- VSA VMs (HotAdd proxies) are excluded from VMWare DRS/ SDRS

- If Windows are installed on VSAs make sure that Windowe automount is disabled and "scrubbed"

See the CVLT best practices here: Best Practices for the Virtual Server Agent with VMware

These two things can be a nightmare to deal with if enabled and might cause snapshots to "hang" around.....

Also, if using hotadd when doing a restore you might end up with a restored VM where the restored VM has disk sizes of 0KB due to VMware SDRS migrated the HotAdd proxy along wíth the .vmdks being restored. You then have to move the restored .vmdks from the HotAdd proxy VM folder to the restored VMs folder.  This ofc only happens in VMware clusters where SDRS has been set to folly automated.

Best regards

Rubeck

0 Kudos