VMware Cloud Community
K_Faisal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No restore points after backup success

Facing a problem using vDP 5.5.1 Standard.

I am sure I have taken a successful backup of my VMs and this backup is also showing me in the restore TAB.

But after restart the vDP Server, when I am selecting the "Restore" TAB, showing me "no restore points were found". Restore TAB is Blank. Why?

Also I can see the log of my successful backup,

01/12/2014 06:14:23: The backup job named "trv im kas im vcen backup on jan12-2014" was successfully Disabled.

01/12/2014 05:58:26: Backup job named "trv im kas im vcen backup on jan12-2014" completed.

01/12/2014 04:28:19: Backup job named "trv im kas im vcen backup on jan12-2014" started.

01/12/2014 04:27:37: A new backup job with name "trv im kas im vcen backup on jan12-2014" was created.

All the vDP 5.5.1 Services are Green in https://ip-address/vdp-configure.

vCenter Server Version is 5.5.0b.

Thank You.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

VDP roll backs to previous validated checkpoint if it is not shutdown properly.

were all your backups completed only in the past 24 hrs ?

I would recommend you to run backups again and run a manual integrity check for now.

You can test restarting VDP and your restore points should be intact

-Suresh
0 Kudos
K_Faisal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply, ill do the integrity check and take a backup and will confirm if its showing the restore point or not.

Thank You.
0 Kudos
K_Faisal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, is it possible to get back my previous backup and show all in the restore TAB?

Thank You.
0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the appliance did indeed roll back because of improper shutdown, then you would not be able to restore your previous backups. 

Verify that the maintenance services are running on your appliance so that daily integrity checks are automatically created.

If you ever see the alarm that the last validated checkpoint is out of date (or the configuration tab shows this), then you should contact VMware support to determine why your checkpoints are not being created.

Reasons why checkpoints may not be created:

1) During the first 48 hours after the appliance is deployed, maintenance services are automatically disabled to allow for level 0 backups to run. 

2) Maintenance services may be disabled (either by the end user or system).  If so, there should be an alarm raised that the maintenance services are disabled.  This can be resolved by going to the VDP configuration UI and enabling the maintenance services.

3) The process that validates the checkpoint may encounter an error (hfscheck).  In this case, an alarm should be raised if the last validated checkpoint is over 48 hours old.  Running the command 'status.dpn' from the command line of the VDP may show one of the following messages:

Last hfscheck failed with result MSG_ERR_HFSCHECKERRORS

Last hfscheck failed with result MSG_ERR_DDR_ERROR

Last hfscheck failed with result MSG_ERR_CGSAN_FAILED

If this occurs, call VMware support to resolve the issue.

4) The checkpoint and hfscheck processes are suspended permanently.  In this case, an alarm should be raised if the last validated checkpoint is over 48 hours old.  (see VMware KB: Automatic integrity checks or scheduled backups do not start in vSphere Data Protection ) for information about this.

You can also check the Reports tab of the vSphere Data Protection plugin in the vSphere web client.  If the "Integrity check status" is not "Normal", then the checkpoint is out of date. The same is true for email reports generated from the VDP.

You can check the VDP Configuration UI "Rollback" tab to see what the dates are for the latest checkpoints.  The VDP will automatically retain two checkpoints - one that is validated, and one that is not validated.

-Greg Sparks
K_Faisal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Many Thanks for the information.

I have checked and found this result,

1. Maintenance Service is Running (include all other service)

1. Last Checkpoint: cp.20140318174506 finished Tue Mar 18 23:15:30 2014 after 00m 24s (OK)

no GC yet

2. Last hfsCheck: checked 195 of 195 stripes (OK)

3. Integrity check status: Normal

4. vDP Config UI Rollback is showing two checkpoint, one is validated and one is not validated.

5. I can see my Storage is 48.80% full from the vDP Config UI.

Is all ok?

Thank You.
0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks good.  As long as maintenance services keep running, the appliance will create a checkpoint daily to prevent a situation that could lead to data loss.

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
K_Faisal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still cannot see the old backups in the restore TAB. is it any of my configuration mistake.

Thank You.
0 Kudos
K_Faisal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry all, I have found My :smileysilly: mistake, its the retention period.

Thank You.
0 Kudos