VMware Cloud Community
TedCrilly
Contributor
Contributor

Next version of VDR??

Does anybody know when 1.0.04 may be on its way? Due to integrity checks and recatlogs taking 24-48 hours, or running indefinitrly, this product (VDR 1.0.3) us being unusable! From reading the groups, a lot of others have the same problem.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kdc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Where did you get version 1.0.3 the latest I can see on the website is VMware Data Recovery 1.0.2??

Cheers,

0 Kudos
robertn
Contributor
Contributor

I 2nd that. I can't find anything beyond 1.02 either and if 1.03 is as stated then we need a 4 or better. I have to visit the VDR everyday and restart the VDR VM to get it out of it's trance.

A few days ago I switched from an iSCSI-based storage to a new NAS store to see if that made it better. Well it did make it better because before it often wouldn't even complete one backup, now it can complete a few before getting stuck.

0 Kudos
kdc
Contributor
Contributor

Im actually pretty happy with 1.0.2 its been working for about 3 weeks no problems.

Now reason I think its working now properly is we have in the last 3 weeks updated ESXi to build 4.0.0 build 193498

That has made it alot more stable. (well seems so)

0 Kudos
TedCrilly
Contributor
Contributor

Whoops, yes, sorry, I meant third version, counting from 0, so 1.0.2 is the latest. ANy sign of the next one?

0 Kudos
mbraak
Contributor
Contributor

I had a support case open with the Integrity check issues.

However VMWare didn't manage to provide a solution and told me to wait for the new version (VDR 1.1) to be released and try again.

Quote:

-

I have been doing some further research on your issue.
Unfortunately we have seen quite a number of such problems with VDR, specifically relating to the integrity check and the amount of time that it is taking to complete. Our engineering team are working on this issue currently and it is expected that there will be improvements in the next release of the product (VDR 1.1). We do not have a release date for this version of VDR at the moment. Please note that there are some limitations on VDR that are not very obvious from the documentation.
1) The maximum size of a de-dupe datastore is 1TB
2) You can only have 2 de-dupe datastores on a VDR appliance.
3) When backing up a VM you must have a minimum amount of free space on the de-dupe datastore. This amount of free space must be at least the total size of the VM's disks.
I would like to draw your attention to our Feature Request page, where you can direct your concerns to our Engineering Dept. If you have a suggestion for how to improve or enhance VMware software, your input is always welcome. Please send your suggestions to feature-request@vmware.com. You will receive an automated response indicating that your suggestion has been received. Unless additional information is needed, you will not receive a personal response. Any suggestions for enhancements to VMware software that you submit will become the property of VMware. VMware may use this information for any VMware business purposes, without restriction, including for product support and development. VMware will not use the information in a form that personally identifies you.

-

So VDR resumes to stay an unusable product for now Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

wow,

Guys pleae let us know here if there is newer version of VDR 😐 I'm using v1.0.2 which i assume is the latest and still it is unusable product for such a real datacenter deployment.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VDR 1.1 was released today. It can be downloaded here

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/datarecovery11/ZHcqYmQlcHBiZGUlcA==

Look in the forum for more information about this release.

0 Kudos