VMware Cloud Community
aritting
Contributor
Contributor

New Vmware Data Recovery vm with existing source?

Hi, for Disaster recovery I was wondering if a new VMware Data Recovery vitual machine can be connected to backups on an existing destination?

I tested this by installing VMware Data Recovery then backing up a Windows Server VM to a Network Share using VMDR.

I then deleted the VMware Data Recovery VM and reinstalled it.  

how do I get the new VMWare Data Recovery vm to know about the backups of the deleted vmware data Recovery vm.

the Network share is the same.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I am not mistaken all you need to do is point it at the original destination and it should be able to reference the information there.

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
aritting
Contributor
Contributor

This didn't work with a network share.  I will try it with a VMDK destination

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Deploy the new appliance and follow these steps:

1. Complete the getting started wizard. On the Backup Destination page, click the Add Network Share link and enter the appropriate information for your particular CIFS share.
  2. You are prompted to restore the configuration from the deduplication store. Select Yes if you want to restore the jobs and backup events and history.
  3. The client disconnects from the appliance after the  configuration is restored and then reestablishes the connection. This  may take several minutes.
  4. Once the client reconnects, check to see if a Reclaim or Integrity check operation has started. If so, STOP the operation.
  5. Immediately click Configure > Destinations and perform an integrity check on all mounted destinations.
  6. Verify the backup job configuration.
James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
aritting
Contributor
Contributor

I am finding that this method is not prompting me for restoring catalog  information necessary to do a RESTORE.

Does this information display immediatly after the integrity check?

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would imagine that it would show the configuration immediately.  I would try disconnecting and reconnecting to the vDR appliance.

0 Kudos
aritting
Contributor
Contributor

Looking at the details carefully,  I think I discovered the issue.

I put the VMwareDataRecovery File Share on \\backupserver\\VMwareDataRecovery

or E:\VMWareDataRecovery\VMwareDataRecovery

The first folder was shared.

When I deleted and restore these directories from tape I shared the second folder

and a new folder was being created by VMDR instead of finding the existing recover files:

E:\VMWareDataRecovery\VMwareDataRecovery\VMwareDataRecovery

I think a better way to restore is

1) restore the VMwareDataRecovery Folder

2) create the VMware Data Recovery virtual machine

3) cancel the create backup dialog

4) use the configure tab - Configure >>Destinations  and add the network share ensuring that the VMwareDataRecovery folder is the first folder below the share

5) run integrity checkon the destination

0 Kudos