VMware Cloud Community
Sebastien44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New VM and archive old one

Hello,

i have to create a new VM but before i have to uninstall/save/archive an old one. I dont want to delete the old one. i want to be able to re-install it if i need it (urgent case). How can i do it.

Can i archive the old one ? and when i need it can i add it quickely in inventory?

Thanks for your answers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌Hi there,

For the 'old' VM, you have two options:

1) Simply remove the Virtual Machine from the inventory. This will remove the VM from the vCenter inventory, but will leave all of the underlying files on the datastore where they currently sit. If you need to get this VM running again, simply browse the datastore where the files sit, right click on the VMX file and select 'add to inventory'. This will be the fastest method of the two, but it requires room on a datastore to host the VM

2) You can export the VM to OVF. This process allows you to export the VM out of vSphere to any other storage such as a file share, NAS, USB storage, etc. If you need to get this VM running again, you simply import the OVF back in to vCenter following the wizard. This process will take longer as it actually exports and imports the data

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌Hi there,

For the 'old' VM, you have two options:

1) Simply remove the Virtual Machine from the inventory. This will remove the VM from the vCenter inventory, but will leave all of the underlying files on the datastore where they currently sit. If you need to get this VM running again, simply browse the datastore where the files sit, right click on the VMX file and select 'add to inventory'. This will be the fastest method of the two, but it requires room on a datastore to host the VM

2) You can export the VM to OVF. This process allows you to export the VM out of vSphere to any other storage such as a file share, NAS, USB storage, etc. If you need to get this VM running again, you simply import the OVF back in to vCenter following the wizard. This process will take longer as it actually exports and imports the data

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
CWestwater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will second the answer above.  I export to an OVF and then copy that file to a secondary storage NAS.  Why keep it on your primary storage eating space!

0 Kudos