VMware Cloud Community
Fincorp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need to restore files from a delta vmdk without a snapshot

I accidentally deleted a snapshot in our exchange server and now missing 2 weeks of emails data

My datastore is on a ESXI 6.0 host

How can i recover the missing data or some of it from the snapshots i have?

all VMDK-descriptorfiles / vmware.logs / screen-shot of all filenames  including size (Attached)

Please i need assistance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The file listing looks very weird and non standard for me.  There is a -flat.vmdk but it contains a -000010 which is snapshot style. Also the 00001 have current date and all the following are older.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have a backup, you can restore the data.

Otherwise you can rebuild the descriptors to have no errors on the virtual machine, but the data present in the deleted snapshots has been lost.

I guess you have scheduled a backup on an Exchange Server.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to vSphere > Backup & Recovery

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you remove the snapshot files manually from datastore or inside the snapshot manager console?

Please look at the following links, maybe give you a solution for what you need ...

VMware Knowledge Base

https://atherbeg.com/2013/06/06/how-to-recover-virtual-machines-with-corrupt-snapshots/

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The file listing looks very weird and non standard for me.  There is a -flat.vmdk but it contains a -000010 which is snapshot style. Also the 00001 have current date and all the following are older.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Fincorp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi Joerg,

Thanks for your reply.

Is is possible to recover data between 10/03/2020 - 23/03/2020 by analyzing the -delta vmdk, -flat vmdk files, logs?

If it's possible. What can i do?

Regards,

Terence.

FinCorp  

0 Kudos
Fincorp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Refer attachment on how the snap-shot was removed:

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ahh... Veeam, now it explains the weird naming.  I suggest to open a #SR and get in contact with Veeam Support, because others cant  tell you how it works or that maybe goes wrong.

Normaly,

grep vmdk *.vmx

gives you the vDisk which is in current use. Than you have to investigate the content of the small descriptors and going backwards. I have the feeling that the you not only have one snapshot tree/chain.

Regards,

Joerg