VMware Cloud Community
rdillion
Contributor
Contributor

Need advice on backup options

Hello all,

We are in the process of implementing a new VMWare environment with three vSphere 4 ESX hosts and an EqualLogic SAN array, with up to twelve VMs on the host systems. I am new to VMWare and still have a lot of questions, but one of the most pressing is what are some good options for backing up the VMs? In our current environment we are using an older version of Backup Exec with the remote agents on the different servers, and backing up data. In the VMWare environment, I am anticipating that I will be able to back up the individual, entire VMs, preferably to tape for offsite storage when needed. In my investigation to this point, I have been told that there are some newer backup products that use the VMWare vStorage api's, allowing these products to perform the backups without having to use VCB. I have also heard of the new VMWare Data Recorvery appliance, but if I am not mistaken, it only backs up the VMs to disk, not to tape. I am hoping that someone can give some advice on a good option to use in order to back up the VMs to tape and general advice on how these products are implemented? I have heard some "buzz" about Symantec's 2010 product, and a product from Veeam, but again, this is all very new to me. Also, any general guidance on what a backup of the VMs typically entails would be very helpful. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Russ

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

VMware Data Recovery still copy data only to disks or network shares. No tape yet Smiley Sad

You are right about the vStorage APIs - I am pretty sure Backup Exec have a version that are able to connect directly to the vCenter and copy VMs to your external storage. This works with a proxy, where you install your Backup Exec agent and connects it to the SAN directly, presenting the VMFS luns to it. Then, using the vStorage, the agent will be able to open the VMFS, read it and copy the VM files entirely or entering on the VM filesystem and copying incremental data and so on.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
rdillion
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for the reply and information Marcelo, I appreciate it. Do you have any familiarity with the products from Veeam, Vizioncore, or the esXpress product, and if so, can you make any recommendations on which of those is best?

Thanks again,

Russ

0 Kudos