VMware Cloud Community
AIAitsupport
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple VMDK files created during Acronis backup and not deleting automatically

We are having setup VMware ESXI setup with below detail.
Client version:1.30.1
Client build number:9210157
ESXi version:6.0.0
ESXi build number:10474991
We are using Acronis for taking backup of VMs hosted in VMWARE ESXI.
Now we are facing issue that multiple VMDK files are created every time when the Acronis backup run on schedule time and also we can not move/delete these VMDK files and due to that we are out of space in vmware data store.
Also we tried to move these snapshot/vmdk files to another data store but the task is getting failed and vmdk files are still reflecting on another data store even after the task got failed.
Now the issue is we are having same vmdk files on both the data store and it consuming more space which results into no space in data store and also causing stop/inaccessibility of other VMs on vmware ESXI.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Moving files manually is not a good idea, and can actually corrupt a VM!

To find out how to solve this issue, please run ls -lisa in each folder which contains files for that VM (i.e. the original folder, and the on to which you've tried to copy files). Post the commands' output in your next reply, and let me know the sizes of the involved datastores, and the free disk space on each of them.

What I think that may have happened, is that the Acronis server uses hot-add for VM backups, and that it still has one of the VM's virtual disk (.vmdk) files attached. If that's the case, remove that virtual disk from the Acronis Server VM (do NOT select delete from disk!) if no backup task is currently active.

André

0 Kudos