VMware Cloud Community
Analog_Kidd
Contributor
Contributor

Moving to a New Data Domain

We have been backing up our VMware environment to a Data Domain using VDP. We recently upgraded to a new Data Domain and I want to move my backups to it.

I tried to go into VDP and edit the DD info, but I get an error message at the completion of the Wizard. Something along the lines of "can't update the local instance" (going off a really bad memory). I read in the documentation that before you can remove a DD, you have to delete all checkpoints. If I wanted to change the DD, do I have to delete all checkpoints first?

I'd really like to keep the backups I have, at least for a month until EMC comes to collect their old DD. Not sure how I would restore from the old backups if I point VDP to the new DD. I tried adding a 2nd DD inside VDP, but that option is greyed out. I suspect it only allows one.

I was thinking of perhaps standing up a 2nd VDP appliance and pointing it at the new DD, and using it to do all future backups, and use the old appliance in case I need to do a restore. Can I have two VDP appliances at the same time?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hi,

The first point is to delete the restore points (Not the checkpoints)

Before you delete the Data Domain system from the VDP appliance, note the following: 

• You must delete all restore points stored on the Data Domain by using the VDP plug-in on the vSphere web client.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration...

And one VDP appliance can be connected to only one data domain. We cannot have VDP backing to multiple DD.

In this case, you would like to retain your backups until the old DD is discarded, so, what you can do is, setup a new VDP appliance (Should reside on an ESXi host which does not have an existing VDP appliance. 1 VDP per ESXi host; 10 per vCenter), and connect it to the new data domain and run the fresh backups.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos